airbag/spring issue. PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by dartsway, Apr 16, 2013.

1. dartsway

dartsway Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    I have a '99 9400i... I have one bag that won't air up to equal amount as the other 3... (rear passenger bag) Spring was replaced recently. .. (broke) just replaced the bag today with a new one , thought maybe that would do the trick. ... NOPE. lol. The bag gets hard, just doesn't air up as much as the other 3. And its about an inch, to inch n a half difference... it sits about a half an inch from bottoming out... its making my trailer lean to the passenger side, thus also making the the rear driver side tires of the split axle trailer to come off the ground a few inch when making left hand turns. .. my ##### just about ate the seat cushion 1st time i seen that. .. I'm not nascaring it around corners or nuttin, just driving normal. ..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. ..

One thing I've been pondering is if its the new spring. ..? Maybe its a Chinese spring or sumtin and the metal is different kinds and not as strong as the original MADE IN USA ones...? I have no clue. ..

Im "pretty" sure it couldn't be any air lines since the air runs from one bag to the next. ... I've moved my ride height and it goes up, but that one bag settles lower than the other 3... (brand new bag too)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    you've got me stumped, but here's what I'd try. follow the airlines from the bags back to the dump valve. then swap the lines, (plug left one in where right one goes, right one in where left one goes). If it changes, and now the left one doesn't air up right, then you know the problem is with the air supply. If it stays the same you know the problem is with the airbag or spring or something.

edit - now I see you said the air lines run from one bag to another. in that case I would try to find another way to supply air to the bag, just some way to rule out low pressure to the one bag. I guess if there is air running from that bag on to another bag and it is airing up fine then you already know that. then it would definitely be a problem with the bag, maybe they gave you the wrong one, different height/pressure

DaltonRouth Thanks this.
  4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I would swap the position of the new airbag with a older airbag from your truck and see if it's the airbag itself. It seems to me it's a airbag problem, possibly wrong part or defective.

5. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Is that airbag fully inflated, while the others have some room to go? Doesn't seem like it could be the bag to me, unless its too short and limiting travel. I'd check the shocks first, that one might be damaged and limiting travel too much, or the others might not be limiting travel enough. Then check the rest of the suspension for binding, or wrong spring/ bad installation.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    For the air bag to be a different height something is wrong with that spring. I am suspecting maybe they installed the spacer block in-between the spring and axle housing backwards. Assuming you have regular "Z" leaf air ride suspension, that spacer block does have an angle to it. If installed backward it will cause the spring to sit higher at the rear and cause the air bag to be considerably shorter in height than the others.

rjones56 Thanks this.
  7. dartsway

dartsway Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    the old airbag was the same way... didn't leak or nuttin... Just did the same thing, that's y I changed it..thought that the old one was bad...

and yea, all the bags run from one bag to another... idk

8. dartsway

dartsway Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    nope.. its in there right...

9. dartsway

dartsway Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    I just had an idea... you guys think if I got a pressure gauge of some sort, hooked up some fittings and checked the pressure in each bag... ??? think it would work??

well... Just did the test pressure on the lower bag, I did it on each end of the "T" that goes into the bag... got about 57psi... then put it on the drivers side bag in front of the T that goes into the bag and got 59psi... I wouldn't think a couple pounds would make THAT much of a difference... I moved the leveling rod and it went right up to 60psi and didn't raise up that much,, then goes back down to 57psi.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If they are all connected together, the pressure will all be the same.

11. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Unless the line is coming apart in side ( fish gilling) . But I m thinking you have plastic lines back there? Trash in lines? Got a dump valve? May want to put some air system conditioner in the system , then cycle the dump a few times?
    But it started when the leaf spring broke?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.