Alcohol prohibited from trucks during down time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JoeBlow, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    And they will STILL argue the point when they have a CDL in the pocket! What part of "it ain't worth it" do people not understand! You paid good money for that POS CDL in your pocket, but a beer away from the house is "worth it"?

I'm sorry but you drink and then drive you DESERVE what happens to you! Want to drink away from the house then leave the car or bike home! No one is going to call you a pantywaist if you don't balls up to the bar!

Besides if I see you driving all over the road I will call on you as I have before! I DO NOT share the road with morons who drink and drive! I've seen to many dead from DUI and I got this way back when Playboy was about to put the first set of twins in as the centerfold but they were killed by a DRUNK DRIVER before the photo shoot in '79! The Whiteside sisters were way sexier than the 1st set!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I am not supporting the drinking either.

I get woke up alot during my time at home for people that should not be driving.

I also lost a family member to a drunk driver as well.

I just believe in people getting the right information.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

Roadmedic, I am with you. I do lie to some of my friends though and tell them that they are held to the same standards as driving a truck if they have a comercial drivers liscense though. These are the ones that do drink and drive. It scares them enough to were they will cut back on the liquid festivities as they don't want to risk their jobs.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The original post asked if alcohol is allowed in a CMV . Those that say "No , never " are incorrect .
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=090163348002327b
    Off duty is off duty and anything done during that time is not subject to FMCSR . But as Roadmedic stated many carriers prohibit alcohol in the vehicle .

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. snoozan

snoozan Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Minneapolis,MN
    Alcohol is NOT permitted in the "common" areas of a CMV. This means the cab, bunk, under-bunk cargo, personal baggage, on your person and some companies say in your person!!!!! If its not in the trailer, and on your manifest, it better not be in the vehicle. FMCSA reg 392.??? Look it up. Alot of truck stops sell alcohol and still more have bars on or near the T/S. Dalles Pike,WV comes to mind. Three bars within a quarter mile. To be intoxicated and go back to a CMV is a violation of the law in its strictest sense. I'm not talking about actually driving your truck, just being drunk in your bunk can get you fired, and or issued a violation ticket. Its the kiss of death. No one will talk to you about another driving job. There isn't any "years before I drive again sentence with this ticket". It seems to be life time. Get a hotel room and don't tell too many people your a driver, or what company you work for. Someone calls your company and it could go from a night of drinking to a life without your career. JUST DON"T DO IT!!!!! AIN"T WORTH THE HASSLES!!!

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You didn't read my quote from the FMCSA ? When you are OFF DUTY the regulations don't apply . You can have alcohol in a CMV while driving home or to a hotel and not be in violation .

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    They changed that just after they passed the "no alcohol" rule in the truck as there were police who were busting drivers with rubbing alcohol in their ditty bags! This is one of the things that the ATA did really fast! I think they did pass this back in 94, 95 but there is NO law NOW that says you can't have it in the truck. Actually look it up! Even go to the FMCSA web site and search it!

BUT, there are open container laws that apply to a "vehicle"! What is a truck? HMMM?

IMHO if you HAVE to have a drink away from home go to a motel! As I stated in an earlier post you worked to hard and paid to much for that POS piece of plastic in your wallet to screw up and get busted for something stupid such as a drink getting back in your truck. It just isn't worth it! Heck I won't even drink when on a fun run on the bike! But then again I kinda grew up years back and think with my head and not a head of beer!

9. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    i thought it said 8? anyway i had a random alcohol test once and that scared me, so i will never drink on the road, even in a hotel. :)

10. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Hmm...I always thought it said four hours....or maybe I always thought that's what it used to say. But whatever, the bottom line is it's not really worth it as a few have said before. Anything aside from that is purely academic.

11. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Evidently the Covenant driver at the Pilot last night standing in front of his rig swillin down the Coors light didn't get the memo? :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.