Alcohol prohibited from trucks during down time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JoeBlow, Aug 28, 2009.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    do what you want in a motel room, as far as a beer or 6...KEEP AWAY from the truck.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    so how would one transport ones purchase of alcohol back home? i would of thought as long as its not opened it was ok? so you put it in the trunk i guess that'd be ok then? Same with a truck if you lived in your truck your not actually driving it and you want to have a few cold beers why would that be illegal?

4. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Question 3: Does the prohibition against carrying alcoholic beverages in §392.5 apply to a driver who uses a company vehicle, for personal reasons, while off-duty?

Guidance: No. For example, an owner-operator using his/her own vehicle in an off-duty status, or a driver using a company truck or tractor for transportation to a motel, restaurant, or home, would normally be outside the scope of this section.

GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    but that "guidance" is specifically mentioning owner op...not a company driver. i would be "of the opinion" that if they meant to say all drivers, they would have said so..????

since it IS in black and white.....

6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Did not read the entire thing did ya? “or a driver using a company truck or tractor for transportation to a motel, restaurant, or home”

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i only read what YOU posted.

it was a very short paragraph, YOU SHOULD have had posted it all...

8. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    I did, here is a c&p of the post and you can go back and look. I put it in bold for your convenience.

Question 3: Does the prohibition against carrying alcoholic beverages in §392.5 apply to a driver who uses a company vehicle, for personal reasons, while off-duty?

Guidance: No. For example, an owner-operator using his/her own vehicle in an off-duty status, or a driver using a company truck or tractor for transportation to a motel, restaurant, or home, would normally be outside the scope of this section.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    All trucking company office people know that most drivers drink.
    They know drivers stagger back from the pub and consume alcohol in their parked trucks.
    They hope that the drivers have good sense and judgement and are sober and the bottles are all out of the truck when the driver leaves after he slept it off.
    The rats suck .
    Why @tucker ?
    Because then companies risk losing a good safe driver over a 6 pack in a parked truck or doing nothing and having the rat do something stupid..
    That’s why it’s better to sneak vodka into the truck than carry beer out to it.

10. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    we have a gas station (almost like truck stop, large parking lot trucks stop their frequently) that is along my route that i sometimes stop to have a couple of slices of pizza. i have seen truckers with sleeper trucks buy beer and get back in their truck and drive off like they are going to consume it on a 34 hour reset. stupid.

we have a company driver who got a DWI in a bob-tail truck. he is still driving until june, apparently allowed to drive long enough to pay his fine. apparently it goes that he will be OUT for 6 months and then allowed to drive truck again. i dont understand it myself. if this is the way it goes typically, way too lenient. in my opinion his CDL should have been pulled immediately and taken away for several years. i think he should then be forced to go through the process of getting a CDL all over again.

the way the system treats someone drunk behind the wheel swerving all over the place vs. someone smokes a small amount while off duty at home is completely absurd.

our society has not learned a thing. alcohol and drunkness are somehow acceptable behavior. i dont do either and keep my nose clean..... i watch the people that use intoxicants loose their jobs and then hopefully i become more valuable.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Wow did this one get resurrected. Once off duty you can legally drink. Just be aware of one fact. Some carriers have a no alcohol in the truck policy. If you are called in for a drug and alcohol test while off duty (some will get you to call a cab and go test) and blow a BA reading, your going to be in serious trouble. This happened to me several years before I retired. I was broke down near the twin cities and in a hotel. I got a call from safety told to call a cab that they would pay me back for and go to a clinic to test. I also had to blow. I was told to have the chain of custody faxed back to them by the end of that day. Just for the record if you are officially OFF DUTY and released from the truck and get called to test you can refuse the alcohol testing. In fact I was called once while on home time by someone that did not know the rules. I did the pee test but refused to blow. I had been drinking and there was no way I was going to have that reported back. It's OK with the FMCSA to drink and even have alcohol on the truck while off the road. Just be smart about it.

Bean Jr. and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.