Alcohol prohibited from trucks during down time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JoeBlow, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Trucks had curtains last time I looked. And doors that lock. And if on private parking lot at a truck stop than don't open door.
    Most truck stops do not want you drinking outside on their property or you will be loitering.
    Do not ever transport alcohol in the cab, or bunk. I see no issue driving a 30 pack home if it's strapped to the catwalk.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Lots of truckstop lawyers. The laws about drinking in a parked truck and a private vehicle are different. An otr truck as been determined to be your home by the courts, and you can be drunk as a skunk sitting parked in a lot, with the engine running for heat or air. Now an overzealous lawman might disagree, but will lose in court. As far as you having to prove you didn't havea drink before you parked, wrong, they have to prove you did.
    In NM, if they can find the keys to your personal vehicle you can be charged, but I have seen drivers call in on drunk truckers at the local truckstop, and I know the responding dot, there is nothing they can do, unless they are disturbing the piece or something, When I did drink, I have had Texas officers try and force me to drive, telling me they were either going to arrest me for tresspassing (bar parking lot after hours) or drunkin public on the side of the road. They could not arrest me until they seen me drive. I would just tell them to arrest me, cuz I ain't driving anywhere and that was always the end of it. I has always been my understanding that you could not drive a commercial vehicle with alchahol in it even under the sleeper, unless it was on the manifest, but parked on your off time, it has been determined it is your home.

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I don’t know how many times I’ve drank an adult beverages inside my truck. Wife said I was to loud with my music inside the home, so I move my own personal party to my truck. Took the cooler and hammered them with my own personal concert system in my truck. Did I mentioned I was inside my property ? Yes I was. On my own chosen my personal reset (34 or whatever it is). I run local so I’m exempt. Did I also mentioned the name on the doors is my own? Well I guess I get to do what I want when I want long as I know my blood content is 0.00 when it’s time to get back at it. :occasion5:

Bean Jr., 86scotty, tommymonza and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    OK, here's related question. I do not have my CDL, but, I do have my Commercial Driver's Learner Permit. I understand that with a CDL, even in a Private Auto your blood alcohol level has to be below 0.04 to be legal. But, with Commercial Learner's Permit in a private auto is the legal limit still 0.04? I seldom drink, so I don't really see this as an issue. I was just curious, there is occasion when I am out and about, I might have 1 beer. If I am driving I never have more. With the 'normal' 0.08 limit, I don't worry about it. But, with a 0.04 limit, even 1 beer could be getting me closer to the stricter limit than I am comfortable with. Any ideas? Do you become subject to the 0.04 limit when you get your Commercial Learner's Permit or not until you get your CDL. This is in reference to a Private auto. Seems logical than even with just a learner's permit, you should be subject to the stricter limit if you are driving a commercial vehicle.

6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    The .04 is only when you’re driving a commercial vehicle.
    If you’re in your car you then it’s .08 or the same as everyone else.

Dennixx, Diesel Dave and De Trucker Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    In many states, truck stop parking lots are not private property unless there is a gate or some other access control.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    If they are not private property, what are they. I know of no states that have public owned truck stop parking lots.

Bean Jr., D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I don't drink while on the road in a semi at all ever. IF I decide to indulge its on home time and I have no obligations to drive anywhere. Whether or not it's legal or allowed in any circumstance, that's my personal policy. Nothing against other people who choose to indulge. They are the Captain of their ship, and I mine.

ShortBusKid and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Also keep in mind company policies. Where I work, if I get summoned to a random drug test (I have had two) they will take your pee but also give you a breathalyzer. If you blow even a 0.01 you are fired. My company recommends that you do not drink for 12 hours before showing up to the terminal, just to be safe and insure that there are no issues with drug tests after showing up from home time.

Six9GS and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    This shouldn't be a problem for now. I am not employed. I got as far as my Medical and Learner's Permit and family matters cropped up. I am right in the middle of moving back to Arizona. Once I am there, I'll probably pick up where I left off concerning finding a company to go work for. Also had a potential job in my old career field (Cartography) crop up. I may go to that job instead. Decent, not great, income and some sense of job security. IDK at the moment. I'll figure it out once I get moved. In the mean time, I do have a valid Commercial Driver Learner's permit and I was curious how that might effect me.
    Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

TravR1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.