Alcohol prohibited from trucks during down time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JoeBlow, Aug 28, 2009.

1. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    I always stayed with friends when I drank or got a room.Quit drinking years ago...thankfully.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Again I am not going to quote any comments from a 10-year-old thread. This what constitutes a DUI/DWI discussion has been entertaining, to say the least. I will refer back to those tables in 383.51. I think if you look carefully at them you can find the correct answer. In a POV it is only called a conviction or refusal to test. Nowhere is it stated in those tables what the actual standard is. Hint! This means this part is up to the states. As a CDL holder in a POV, you get a DUI for say .05 in one state but in another, you don't. That is how this goes. One more point! be careful with that .08 being legally drunk. I am from Georgia, last I heard their state law on this was .08, but with an exception! If you are involved in an accident they can charge you with DUI for being over .04. I can not find that provision today, so in the case of Georgia, I may be in error.

4. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Moose the provision you may be looking for may possibly be a phrase or phrases found in most state code which says something similar to the following.

“(a) A person shall not drive or be in actual physical control of any moving vehicle while:

(1) Under the influence of alcohol to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;”

It’s kind of a catch all when the presumptive level (“legal limit”) isn’t reached and .04 is the reference many agencies use (although not usually stated in code) as a general guide when depending on other evidence a decision needs to be made on whether or not to charge a driver with dui/dwi in a POV especially after a crash.
    As I’m sure you know but others may not, Utah is the .05 state in a POV.

5. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Alcohol, no. Crack, yes.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.