All costs up, Rates continue downward

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Nobroker, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I do not know how long the op has been out here, but this was to be expected. Everyone and his brother is now getting into this racket. Read the "I'm thinking of buying a truck" threads on here. Tens of thousands of guys are.

More trucks = lower rates.

STAY OUT OF DEBT!

Some of you laugh at me for keeping my 2008 ProStar, and two in frames in two years... My truck is STILL paid for, the title is CLEAR.

I have no mortgage and live in a house with property, A VERY NICE HOUSE. AND IT IS PAID FOR. I just paid the summer taxes.

I have credit cards, and they are all at ZERO balance. I use them, and pay them off IMMEDIATELY!

I do have a small personal loan for the last bit of the in frame and hopefully that will be paid off by Christmas. And the new APU, through a lease outfit, just because I need at least one real write off.

Pay your debts off, get liquid. The economy is going to and is taking off like a ROCKET SHIP, but that does not mean all sectors are or will. We are in one of those industries that is going to see real upheavals. If you are running thin on cash, and thinking of jumping in, think real hard about doing that, as it may just be your end. Can you handle a $5,000 repair bill on that new used truck? Can you feed your family on hot air?

You guys take it for what it is worth, opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one. But at least mine is paid for. Been there and done that. And I have witnesses. ;-)

KANSAS TRANSIT and Ziggy319 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    Great post.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  4. scorpiorias

scorpiorias Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am that independent auto transporter. I am not looking to buy a second truck, I don't necessarily need tires or strap discounts, and not that any help is bad but that doesn't address the problems. I am not just moaning and pissing and farting. With you as a founding member, when I made suggestions most one man one truck operation guys like me will agree with and I feel blown off by you, you should be concerned .

I don't want to be part of that parade where my needs aren't adressed. The "little guy" like me is a case study of what works and what doesn't.

I have met one of the founding members; guy from myersdale auto ( years back at the Porsche dealer in Pittsburgh. when he had a 3 car dually....I believe a topkick or something along those lines) I even had his business card for years. A nice gentle man. And he always picked up the calls and eager to talk. He was just like everyone of us out there. Had good conversations with him about what was going on at that time.

If you are telling me people get big and forget their humble beginings, I won't be a fool and argue over that.

If IATA is an organisation that was created for folks with fleets of trucks, revolving high 6 figure loans from the banks, folks that are actually established and well diversified that they can move on from this and still live, folks who's life and family aren't very much dependent on what they bring hold each and every single day. folks that can actually save some money cos they have a fleet and a 10 dollar discount for a "little guy" like me is a 500 dollar discount or something equivalent to their assistants salary. ( like warren buffet saying his 7 figure salary asistant who owns a few Berkshire Hathaway shares pays more tax than him and subsequently calling him a LITTLE GUY), 17 cell lines as opposed to one single line, overheard cost that most "little guys" don't have, I won't be a fool and argue over that.

With a fleet, you can use ECONOMIES OF SCALE, I cannot to any meaningful extent. And if that's what the alliance if for, I won't be a fool and argue for that.

If its an alliance in name only. Again for the LITTLE GUY,. I won't be a fool and argue over that.

But if you tell me this organisation is the tide that lifts all boats up, again with the benefits and agendas you've listed, amidst the low rate situation we are facing. I respectfully disagree.

I've assumed you've done well out there for yourself sir. And I am not trying to shame you for doing good for yourself. Not my agenda. All I am saying is that my needs and priorities as a " little guy" is simple different from yours. All that connects us is what we do and what we get paid to do it. As long as we keep deviating from that objective of what we do and what we get paid to do it, we are essentially deviating from stabilizing and restoring the rates back to a sustainable level were you and I can coexist and be proud of what we do.

When asked, I use to be able to tell people that I am a car hauler but now I simply say trucker or transport worker. Even though its the same difference, there's a sense of pride or glorification I derived from calling my self a car hauler. I am not strong arming anyone, I am not advocating any crime here, holding cars hostage is simply a late delivery tactics used to get the shipper or brokers attention. I have done it, we all have. I have actually targeted brokers who didn't pay me, hold their cars until the made me whole on a previous work I did and got screwed.

No matter how u go about it, all I am saying is there have to be something done to stop this rates crisis other than just discounts to folks who don't necessarily need it. Whether the strategy works or not, the most important thing here is that iniatives are being made to combat the situation.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Bill O’lading Thanks this.
  5. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    I can address much of this typing. I would love to talk to you as your thoughts if the alliance are unfounded. I don’t know who you have met that’s a founder. But none of our founders have what you have described. And it was worked on for almost 2 years and only launched on 1/1/2018. Yes the size of our group does allow for substantial savings. No we are not nor will we be a union. We will not cure cancer. We will not have a instant change on the industry. We are working on many things right now. Some things you have addressed would be better spoke to. I will pm my number. Please do give me a call as I would love to learn what I can from everyone. It seems that many feel like you do. Many have joined because of that. A few have not. Call me. You many be surprised how much we do see eye to eye on.

Mcskinny Thanks this.
  6. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    You’ve said so much where to start? So im just going to say this.

Im NO WHERE close to paying $21k for insurance. My renewal just wrapped up and i paid $13269 ($1MM GL and $350k cargo) and Im with Southern Mutual/Northern and Endurance. Granted, I have a spotless record, no claims, and great credit and I thank God for all of it.

MPG- yep, 5.2 loaded at 70mph

Maintenance? It’s part of the game. Pay to play.

25 stops per week? Ive been out for the past 2 weeks, total stops (pick ups and drop offs) = 10 and WELL over $20k gross and Im well over $3/mile on ALL miles. More and less than others, but it works for me.

How? Because I do what I tell people I will. My word is the ONLY thing thats worth anything. I pick up when I say, I deliver when I say and if for ANY reason that can’t happen, my customer is the FIRST call I make and they’re dang well appreciative of it. I treat their cars like my own. I care about them and they call me back time and time again and again.

So you can, all who want, ##### and ##### but how much of your problems of rates are YOUR own dang fault? How many take those cheap units off central and fail to understand why they’re failing? Look in the mirror!!!!!

I love hauling autos. I don’t mind actually having to get off my backside and doing something. It’s called exercise and not an unhealthy thing.

Then again, I know there will be plenty that don’t see it as I do. That’s okay too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I just shared my experience ...that's all .
    It's just me and my calculations . Sometimes I miss car hauling being there long enough but I want easier life ...not that I'm lazy but my gross per mile was very close in car hauling vs flat bed ...insurance cost is vary different in different parts of us ( my record was pretty good without claims , credit history too - next year I was quoted 40 percent more for no reason ( blabla insurance prorated )) ...I know lot of people will disagree but I made my choice

Doealex and scorpiorias Thank this.
  8. scorpiorias

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am glad to see someone making it and happy with how things have worked out for them. No one is saying there isnt someone out there ( an out lier ) kicking butts and checking lists. However, you can't look me in the eye or anyone else for that matter and say this haven't gotten at least a tinnny bit thougher.

There was a time not long ago volvo from Baltimore paid 14k to Cali. And over 6k to golden valley MN. I know cos I did those loads. As a matter of fact, I had one of my worst claims with the MN load. Strap on the top deck came off and beat the sh1t out of the car below. I paid my 2500 deductible on that total loss and still turned profit on that load. That was 4 suvs and 4 cars. Today, the same load pays less. In fact, 7 sc90 suvs and 2 cars barely cracks 4600 and are . And God help you not deadhead to toledo to get you next load. In fact, that's the norm.

Yes some folks have the connects and that's what business is all about. It survival of the fittest, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that the survival part it isn't what it used to be. Word don't mean nothing no more, in this day and age, its not only expected of you but its imperative you even sh1t and piss right cos Jose, Igor and sergio are sitting and waiting for you to 4uck up so he can take your work. In fact all he has to do is go lower with his rate and that will erase every thing you've toiled for trying to maintain a good business relationship with the shipper. If you got it good, thank God for making it so. I tell you, it doesn't look good out there.

9. scorpiorias

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bro, I am with you. Its all denial. We all know the truth. It showed your adaptability, how long your vision is, that's very Darwinian in my view. You didn't Waite for the wolves to come to the doors, you made your move early and I am sure, if the game comes back to life, you will be hauling cars again. ONCE A CAR HAULER, ALWAYS A CAR HAULER. I wish you good luck with all you do out there.

10. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I hear you and don’t disagree at all. There are those that will undercut you or at least try all the time, regardless of what work you do. I just keep my head down and keep my faith in God. That’s all I can do. I wish you much success, truly!

11. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Thanks for not whining. Seems like its more complaining and whining on here than positive things.

Sec11, BigBob410 and Ziggy319 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.