All outside lights stop working

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Rev B, May 22, 2021.

1. Rev B

Rev B Bobtail Member

May 22, 2021
    I have an 09 t800. After a short time running all exterior lights stop working but interior lights, radio, cig lighter keep working. I loose headlights, turn signals, flashers, and running lights. I can shut down and disconnect the batteries then restart and they will work for a little while then stop. Happens if the headlights are on or off. Where to look?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Look for a short somewhere. It's tripping your breaker, and it resets when it cools down. Broken wire somewhere is grounded out, or loose strands grounding in pigtail, etc.

Rev B and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  4. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    I would also put your hand on top of your Fuse box. Touch everything individually. See if anything is getting hot. Might also have a relay going bad. If not, it might help identify the circuit.

5. Rev B

Rev B Bobtail Member

May 22, 2021
    Relay was my first guess but I can't find any one point where all the lighting is controlled. Everything is on separate fuses. Didn't know if there was a low voltage sensor or external relay hidden somewhere. I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for the truck.

6. Rev B

Rev B Bobtail Member

May 22, 2021

7. Rev B

Rev B Bobtail Member

May 22, 2021
    Checked all the hinged points and can't find any worn spots. Should have mentioned, this is a dump truck. No trailer connections. I can't find any one point that could cut power to all lights, turn signals, and e flashers at the same time.
    Thanks for the ideas

8. Rev B

Rev B Bobtail Member

May 22, 2021
    I'm new to the forum. Still learning how to work the replies. Bare with me, I'll get it eventually.
    Thanks for the help.

9. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Research the term "Kenworth chassis node"

Rev B Thanks this.
  10. Rev B

Rev B Bobtail Member

May 22, 2021
    Thanks. Will do.

11. Rev B

Rev B Bobtail Member

May 22, 2021
    I did some digging into the chassis node. That thing is expensive and unnecessary it looks like to me. Over engineering?
    I found a 70A relay for accessories that was getting hot and failing. Changed it and problem has gone away for now. Will see how long it last.
    Thanks for all the help.

w9l and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.