Almost 3 years with TMC...

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by eckz, Dec 2, 2008.

1. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    did a little figuring, maybe you can help me out. $360 # .49/mile = 775 miles a day. if you made 4 stops # $25 each you would be at 571 miles a day. 6 stops and 469 miles would also give you $380. I can't figure a combination of miles and stops that would give you $380 a day. you'd either have to have an impossible number of miles, or low miles but an impossible number of stops. and all this in 11 hours???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    does TMC hire newbies out of school? Is the home time pretty good...prefer to be a regional driver...

4. GATROR06

GATROR06 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Akron, ohio
    I gotta say..... You dont hear many TMC drivers complaining about there company. Thats cool you landed a day job with them. I tried the local job once. Like someone said it was up in the wee hours of the morning and long long days. I slept in my bed every night but I actually think I worked more hours and got alot less sleep do to the commute and such.

5. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    I will NOT make 98,000 with this job. From what i'm hearing from other drivers i will make around 55-60k. That 380 a day will not be an every day thing. It's not just the stop pay, we get the detention pay as well, which is 20 dollars an hour. 15 stop, 10 untarp so 25 a stop, and then another 20 after the first hour, and 20 an hour thereafter. (Which from what i understand is from the time you get there, not even if you're detained.. So your untarping and strapping (Dont quote me) but i'm sure is included in this. I'm getting at least 400 miles a day with 3 stops. We can run about 500 miles a day (But that would be one run down to like.. Kentucky and then the return trip so that's total, not just loaded miles, and again we're paid for all miles so)

Honestly, you are right about getting up early (im getting ready to go in now and it's 3:30) but if my day goes right, i should be home by 2-3 and have the rest of the weekend off.

Maybe it's not for everybody, but i'm enjoying it so far. And, like i said i'm sure giving away alot less free time doing this than i did as an OTR driver. And yes, TMC does take very good care of you as long as you do your job and aren't a whining baby =)

Talk to you guys later on.

6. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    OK. .49/mile*400 miles = $196. 3 stops = $75. 3 hrs. det = $60 (you'd have to drive at least 8 hours out of that 11 to get 400 miles.) $331. I still can't come up with $380. anyhoo, still not bad money though. of course I netted about $1 million last year driving part time.

7. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    Dang, the Norwood Home Depot account only pays $0.42 per mile, but we get$35 or $28 per stop depending on the length of run.

We only get$7 to untarp.

We only get $15 per hour, and we still give them the first hour after the appointment time free no matter what. Do you have a fixed appointment time or a vague window? If it is a window don't get too attached to the flexibility since ours recently changed to the more rigid fixed appt time.

It is very satisfying to get paid well to work efficiently isn't it.

Dang that is a pretty good day, I haven't seen a one day pay like that since labor day week. Things must still be pretty good for you. I am only averaging about $900 a week right now.

I work nights so I usually have the opposite schedule starting in the late afternoon and getting done around sunrise.

Good deal Eckz. I am sure you will like it. :biggrin_25525:

8. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Cheif, you are correct. I refigured what i did that day, it came to 280, not 380. I don't know how i came up with the extra hundred. My appologies.

Either way, though. Not bad for 11 hours worth of work, and thus far, i do enjoy it.

Rawlco, the first apointment HAS to be on time, any from that point forward during the day there is a 6 hour window. I will have 560 miles on Monday morning (Just doing one run, and then going back home) That one has an open window, i, ofcourse will be there as early as possible so i can get back home and enjoy the rest of my day. (5 hours one way on this trip)

I'm not sure why our accounts are different, perhaps you guys run longer runs? The longest ones we do are up to petoskey, MI (560 miles), or down to like Cincinatti or norther kentucky. I think that's why we may get paid more for the other duties, to balance it out.

I do enjoy it, so far. I'm in my buddy's truck right now who's off on Medical, the one that i'm getting is in the shop right now getting all the bugs worked out of it (Apparently the previous driver diddnt take very good care of it, which makes me sad) but when i get ahold of it everything should be in working order which will be nice, a few less things for me to deal with and worry about.

I do enjoy driving for TMC. I have left there twice and went back both times, the grass is not greener on the other side, i will say that much. And, as the previous poster said there are always going to be bad things about any job, it doesn't matter what you're doing. The point is, for me, Money talks. And as long as i'm making a good enough living to support my family i can deal with the crappy hours and whatnot. Besides, the longer you do it the easier it gets, and if it's this easy for me right now once i learn where all the stores are and whatnot i'm sure i can knock a few hours off of my day as time goes on.

Rawlco, i've been to norwood, i diddn't know you were on that account. I think i delivered shingles or something up there, we've probably met.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.