Alternator Noise

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by madmoneymike5, May 19, 2020.

1. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Yes I agree. Since the OP said the alternator noise was only noticeable through his West Mountain speaker, I assumed it was the speaker cable picking up the interference. Of course he can't hear the whine through the speaker unless the volume is turned all the way up. So it sounds like he's maybe worrying about nothing.

2. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Where's Slowmover?

He's the West Mountain guru, but haven't seen him around for a few months now.

3. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I don't think it's "nothing." Granted, the issue is small in the big scheme of things, but there are two very legitimate reasons I want to eliminate this noise.

1. Sometimes, jack@sses get on their high power radios and start making a bunch of annoying noises because they have nothing better to do with their lives. Usually, I like to run my RF Gain wide open, squelch all the way down, and have my ClrSpkr filter out most of the static. But when these children in adult bodies get on the airwaves, I like to turn down my RF Gain until I can't hear them. When I do this, the ClrSpkr does a good enough job to completely wipe out the static BUT then I hear that whine. So, right now, I have to choose between turning the radio off (but I got all this gear, so what's the f##ing point of having it if I'm just going to turn it off), being annoyed by immature abusers of the system, or listen to the alternator whine. I can't see myself turning off the radio—it would bother me too much to have wasted all this time and money not use the thing—and I can't control or fix the idiots, but I can possibly fix the alternator whine. So that's why I'm going that route.
    2. Fixing this issue will also help me to learn more about this stuff. So, I view it as a learning opportunity.

I'm home tomorrow and will be installing the noise filter from Powerwerx. The torroid I didn't order in time for me to get this home time, so I'll just have to hope that the Powerwerx fixes it. If it doesn't, two more weeks until I can try the torroids.

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Well the thing you need to know (if you don't know this), is that the RF gain effects the volume in the radio, and therefore it will effect the volume in the external speaker too. You say by turning down the RF gain, and having the clear speaker filter out the static from the radio (squelch circuit), that's really not the job of the clear speaker. It's job is to reduce the electrical noise (not eliminate it per manufacturer), the key word is "reduce". I don't have any personal experience with this type of clear speaker, so I did a quick research on a well known website of product reviews. One fellow had a 60hz hum with his speaker, and the manufacture company sold him a $40 line insulation to install in the audio cable, but it didn't help. Another fellow was having ignition noise trouble, and the only thing that would help eliminate the electrical noise, was the noise blanker on his radio.
    At this point, I think the best thing to do is try the toroids when you can get them installed and see if it works. Otherwise you may have have to try using a shorter power cable going to the cigarette lighter just to see if that eleminates this problem.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.