alternator shorting out?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by tnpete, Sep 30, 2017.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    1995 Kenworth T600, started having issues. Over night the battery's were dead. Charged them back up, and there all new. When I went to put the ground cable on. It arced when I touched the cable. So that tell me I have a short somewhere.
    Today hooked the battery's back up. Took the power cable off the back of the alternator . No more arch at the battery cable. So I'm thinking the Alternator is shorted out? Would I be on the right track? Will wait and see in the am. If there's a draw on the battery's. If there still up, will go and get a new one to put on it. It has the smaller Alt on it. Ground wire and single wire. Does not have the quad mount alt.
    Pete

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Sounds like the right track. Alternators I have seen shorted and discharging the battery were warm to the touch when the truck had not been running.

xsetra Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    You could have parasitic draw on your batteries.
    Internal clocks, ecm, etc.
    When I connect my batteries, negative last with key off, they also arc.

Could one of your batteries be bad. Maybe load test those individually, if your alternate is good.
    Good luck

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A failed diode in the rectifier can cause a draw on the batteries. Like Boxcarkidd said, if the alternator is warm after sitting all night its likely a toasted diode in the alternator. Easy enough to confirm if you have a multi-meter or an ammeter. Just measure the battery draw with the alternator connected and with it disconnected.

xsetra Thanks this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Or if you don't have the test equipment just leave the alternator disconnected over night and if the batterys are not dead in the morning you found your problem.

7. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Left the cable off the Alt all night, truck fired right up this am. So will get the Alt Rebuilt tomorrow am. We have a local guy, that does a great job. And sure saves some cash. It has the Deico Remy 22SI on it.
    Also battery's are all new, Replaced the top 2 in Tx when we picked the truck up. And put the bottom 2 new on first of the week. I thought it was going to be the Alt. As it did not run the battery's down for over a month. Then started overnight.
    Pete

xsetra Thanks this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks for posting the solution.
    I learn some more.

tnpete and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.