Am I A Real Trucker?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TruckingStraight, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Coming out of LA the other day I saw this on the back of a trailer: Real truck drivers don't wear flip flops.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This whole discussion is subjective. The only real correct answer is how good the driver is at what he does.

Some people think cowboy wear makes a “real” trucker. Others think workboots and a mechanic’s uniform makes a “real” trucker. That much is subject to interpretation, depending on how you were brought up.

I want no parts of slinging tire chains out on 80 somewhere in the midwest, and the guy out there slinging tire chains as we speak I’m sure would want no parts of my peddle run.

Somebody has to deliver food. Somebody has to deliver fuel. Somebody has to suck #### out of toilets. All those jobs have to be done. To look down on another rig jockey simply because you think your place in the trucking industry is somehow better than theirs is nothing short of stupid.

That said, the ones I will look down on are the slovenly ones that are walking embarrassments, and those pigs know who they are.

Just my .02

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When the going gets tough the truckers throw chain.

This saying is general, applies to all who run trucks. You do what you need to do, you are still a driver like the rest. I never think about it.

I had been issued box trucks cab over model once when 95 was still concrete plates near Baltimore and it was a bunny hop mobile all the way. Bounce bounce bounce. I was happy to get the hell out of that truck. I don't know how you all do it.

Ive been down as little as a ford f150 with a tool box attached to a trailer with a 4 ton equiptment on it. I had to be gentle with it because chances are we are overweight in several ways with it. But it did well considering.

In the end I don't even worry about is this a trucker or not. You are engaged in either interstate, intrastate or local commerce and are paid for it.

Now, there are times someone in a big truck does something that is generally accepted to be stupid. The kind of respect or abuse rather depends on how well or how badly you do with a truck, whatever it might be. The worst of it is when you are new to 18 wheels or similar. The first year, or three is really going to make you question your own sanity sometimes.

If dispatch displayed symptoms of are you going to make it? I usually enjoyed telling them I guess we will see come the morning if we did or not.

That keeps them awake in bed at night, it's only fair if we are heading out to fight three feet on Sideling hill tonight. (Not that i recommend it. Some trucks you have to park because it does not do three inches of snow.)

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Like I said, it's all in how you handle yourself and your rig

6. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Ours can do 3” of snow.
    73EB5424-4E7E-40DD-9F32-A9B0705892F9.jpeg 6D2F077E-07A9-4901-871E-BF6558A6BD1A.jpeg 02C2141C-9A06-4D80-B527-CED0D07924FE.jpeg

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Best way to explain is this.

top guys are the OS/OW guys somewhere in the middle is the dry vans, flat bedders, tankers and reefers down the pole is the rest I guess.

1524979A-0C86-4792-B227-26CE43CF997B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Mike2633 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Cool.

The reason I brought that up is recent news coverage in the last several winters had big rigs spinning out on flat interstates in clear skies after a storm has passed. It has to do with the engineering inside of them, all the over designed crap that gets themselves stuck in that little bit of snow and then be all over the news.

Good luck to you.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    When you've ran oversized 50000 lb steel down us 13 outside of Aliquippa pa...Then you're a real trucker.

10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I'm pretty sure the United States Department of Transportation considers all commercial trucks straight or combination vehicle real trucks and I'm pretty sure last I checked the pre trips are almost exactly the same and the logging regulations are pretty much exactly the same and the drug testing is exactly the same and fuel tax and weight distance tax and USDOT number pretty sure it's the same for both. As far as the governments concerned and lets face it there the one's who set and enforce policy, pretty sure there's is the only opinion that counts at the end of the day.

OldeSkool and TruckingStraight Thank this.
  11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    [​IMG]
    This is a fake truck, and these people are not real truckers or drivers, but how would you like to spend 16 hours in this thing during a snow storm. Look at those big knobby tires.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.