Am I A Real Trucker?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TruckingStraight, Jan 18, 2020.

1. TruckingStraight

TruckingStraight Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2020
    That's pretty much how i feel in the Freightliner that i've been issued. The air ride seat is shot, so i'm either going to bottom out or sky rocket through the roof. I've dubbed it the bounce house. When my truck was getting a PM done i was issued an 2018 International, and even though i detest Durastar engines, that thing rode like a dream. It also had the Bendix adaptive cruise control which was a nice touch as well. Once i got my Freightliner back i was in a pretty crappy mood all week lol.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Just tell your companies safety officer it's hurting your back, you need a new seat or a doctor. Bet you get a new seat.

Mike2633 and TruckingStraight Thank this.
  4. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Yeah!
    Back when a good dispatcher could keep track of the fleet with a spreadsheet and a pencil and he knew where every truck was and the drivers called in twice a day and knew where they were going next ahead of time.
    Back when you could grab a snotty dispatcher by his necktie and yank him over the desk or through the window and not get fired for it!

Things sure have changed.

Man......., I sure do miss the old days!

5. TruckingStraight

Jan 18, 2020
    You're right but the premise is due to the fact that a commercial vehicle is a commercial vehicle, and because you do not need any specialized training to jump in a Straight truck, allows for anyone to jump in one and drive like a total noob. Back in the day of course the general public looked up to truck drivers for obvious reasons. Now since the industry has been watered down with mega-carriers and situations like this where no CDL is okay, it further dampens the quality of what being a truck driver is imo. However, at least if nothing else, kids still throw the arm motion to hear the air horn which is something FedEx and UPS cannot vouch for :p

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Durastar is the model of truck.

I believe you’re thInking either of Maxxforce or Navistar engines.

7. TruckingStraight

Jan 18, 2020
    You're right, 'Maxxforce' was what i was pertaining to. Thanks. Back to the coffee pot.

Mike2633 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And without a doubt those are boat anchors.

Chubby Fly, Bob Dobalina and Mike2633 Thank this.
  9. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    That actually was pretty cool Mike, I have never seen a ERB hotshot truck before, just their trailers here and there.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I talked to an Erb driver at a pickup a couple years ago and he said Erb was getting into the straight truck business. For a while Schneider, JB Hunt and Erb were all getting into the straight truck business.

the guy from Erb I talked to said the terminal he worked out of was the only terminal that didn’t yet have straight trucks. But every other terminal had them.

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  11. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    We all started somewhere, my experience ranges from the 5 tons I wrenched on and drove in the service, to my first straight truck p&d job in the civilian world, then my first LTL job dock/hostling, then getting the cdl and tractor/trailer p&d to eventually transitioning to linehaul and pulling doubles/triples trailers, as far as I am concerned there is no REAL truck drivers, it's about how you do your job and how well you are at it that matters, the equipment is irrelevant, I saw plenty of so called REAL truck drivers who sat and clogged up chain up areas on Donner Summit because they refused to chain up, so that kills that argument right there, my point is there is no need to look down at others, especially if they are doing a job you started your career in, don't ever forget where you came from.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.