Am I being nit picky

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by omg-downshift!, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolinacrazyhorse

carolinacrazyhorse Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2014
    tatlers ridge nc
    gotta log the pre trip that you did,..note mud flap missing taking to shop!! drive to t/s an get a flap installed,...then note that on your pre trip,..its what its for,..to cover your ###!! basic driver 101!!!!

allniter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    No.........

4. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    I would probably drive to loves and be super paranoid and an overall spazz about it while doing it.

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth

Have you ever noticed during a dot inspection the officer or officers. check the lights and mud flaps on the back of the tractor with or with out a trailer ? I wonder why they do that.? come to think of it.. I've never asked anyone why ? Hmm

6. Prolaznik

Prolaznik Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2013
    SD
    Thx for the remainder i have to get one too, i have been driving around for the past two months without one :biggrin_25524:

carolinacrazyhorse Thanks this.
  7. omg-downshift!

omg-downshift! Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2012
    South Texas
    Well I split after reading the super sweet posts and heading for the truck stop. Made it but then........ went full on Thelma and Louise and just kept going. Truck stop after truck stop I held my hand out and screamed don't stop... lets just kerp going.. three dot cars passed me and I was waiting for the chopper to shine a light on me but nothing. I don't even think they can see me, I must have some sort of magic power. I'm going to pull the other one off now that I'm stopped, just to balance the load out.

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    may the powers of American Ninja Stealth remain .. ommm

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Here's the other dirty little secret: Mud flaps aren't a DOT issue. Each state has their own requirements, which vary in how long they need to be. Texas and Missouri, for example, want them to reach to within 8" of the ground. Illinois says it has to be within 12" of the ground. Some states don't have a solid measurement, but rather rely upon a formula based upon the angle between the ground where the rear tire makes contact and the rear of the vehicle body. In other words, if you have enough overhang or the trailer rides low enough, in some states a mud flap is not even required on the trailer!

As for checking the mudflaps on the tractor when you have a trailer hooked up, the DOT is not really looking for the mudflap, but rather the reflective strip at the top of the mudflap. If you have a mudflap mounted, it must have that reflective strip. If you do NOT have a mudflap, you don't need that reflective strip because there is nothing for it to be mounted to.

carolinacrazyhorse Thanks this.
  10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    x2... was just going to mention this little item myself. Its quite possible the OP made a Mt Everest out of a molehill.

11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    From what I see.. it appears the molehill could very well turn into MT Whitney

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.