Am i being too easy going?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GettingRolling, Sep 21, 2020.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay, with that kind of background they should have a better idea of what their costs and revenue will be before they ever turn a wheel.
    If they don't, they're too dumb to deal with.
    If they do, and they're keeping you in the dark, they're gaming you and you need to move on.

nredfor88, okiedokie and Eddiec Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I work for a Company that has been in business since 1964. Good benefits, 401K, steady freight, proven track record. The profit margin in the trucking industry is thin. A 5 Truck start up in this day and age is a very risky proposition. Not to say it can't be done, but..........unless you have a sketchy background or DAC/ PSP/ Criminal history, I would refrain from going to work for such an enterprise. Not worth the extra few CPM. Just my $.02

4. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I wouldn’t go that far. If their business experience is all non US, they are most likely novices in compensation laws and customs in this country. Of all the things I learned coming to this country, that was the biggest learning curve.

5. GettingRolling

GettingRolling Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2018

Yeah workers comp and health insurance was a new one for them

6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    That one is easy to overcome........1099. Until the IRS decides to crack down on the "Employers" that treat Employees as Contractors......it will never change. I was a self employed Residential Remodel Contractor for years. Could not compete with all of the "Contractors" that hired any swinging richard for $12-15 per hour and the poor dumb #ss drove his own truck, used his own limited set of crappy "tools" and paid for his own gas and car insurance, ( if he even had that). Some of the most sub par crap you have ever seen in your life. I "fixed" a number of those hack jobs over the years. Got fed up 5 years ago. Now I am a Company Truck Driver and couldn't be happier!

88228822, 650cat425 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  7. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    in the words of a great American, this deal could go down in flames, bigly......sounds like a scam to lure drivers then give garbage pay for your time....

8. GettingRolling

Aug 30, 2018
    If i don't get answers it won't be my time getting wasted thats for sure

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What do you mean?

They paying you a retainer?

Because otherwise it isn’t costly.

as for the new thing, sounds like the owner is clueless and he got into this for fast cash.

don’t do this as a contractor, only an employee, and hourly.

10. GettingRolling

Aug 30, 2018
    They've had to hire outside trainers to conduct testing and stuff like that and the job would be as a w-2 employee with benefits and everything. Its a pretty mind numbing job just going back and forth on 90 but the pay is decent the accessory pay would just make it better

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    My take: you say you'll be doing well with your regular pay.....what are you worried about accessory pay for? Accessory pay has proven difficult to get, especially when you work for independent contractors. My guess you're getting flat rate mileage pay. If it looks good, just look at the accessory pay as bonus.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.