Am I being totally ripped off?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by NoBluffBuff, Jan 22, 2017.

1. NoBluffBuff

NoBluffBuff Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I've pulled 53' dry vans on mileage pay for years, so pardon my ignorance as I've just recently started pulling an RGN and hauling equipment. I don't believe this company is doing anything honest...since I agreed to go out with a driver for a while to learn for a couple weeks, they simply tossed me in a truck before I had touched a chain binder or learn how to detach a lowboy trailer. I bet you understand what kind of experience this has been for me this last month...but I'm looking for answers, not sympathy.

Let me give you guys the real deal on what this company is paying me. Please tell me exactly how badly I am getting jacked.
    They have me 1099 as a company driver. Here is how they pay me: The factoring company always gets 10%, and the truck company takes their 5%. They pay me 25% of the leftover 85%...NOT 25% of 100% gross to truck, and that's AFTER the costs of permits on each load. This feels like highway robbery!

On top of that, it's been a struggle to get confirmation bills emailed to me timely or consistently. They make me feel like I am harrassing them, but pretty much every load I am told by "get rolling towards xxxx city now, we'll text you the details in a bit. So, my phone explodes with texts...call this broker right now, call these customers..then I am googling for info, pulling the atlas, scribbling stuff down, screwing with the gps...all while I am driving to a place where, almost everytime I show up lacking information, looking unprofessional or just plain stupid.

Breaks my heart, drivers. I like this kind of trucking better than back when I was swinging doors. I don't need to ask you what it takes to keep a clean record out here...I'm a little freaked out at the moment. My record is spotless, never been in an accident or knicked any equipment, perfect csa score...and I feel like it's all in jeopardy with this company. Hadn't been even a couple weeks passed when I had this gut feeling, that I need to be working for someone else. I was off the road for well over a year, and was broke after a series of life events, so here I am deep until I feel a bit more financially caught up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    right at 1099 as a company driver in know there crooks, would not wprk for them, a thief is a thief..run like the wind. Just opinion, but I would have left without the truck to start with

4. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    You lost me at 1099 and factoring. Run away. Quickly.

stwik, RedRover, Mattflat362 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Working for a company that uses a factoring company on a regular basis means that you are one or two bad weeks from pulling up to fuel and finding out that the company has closed their doors and shut off your fuel card.

I'd run, not walk, from that company.

Lonesome and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    You need to split and find a real HH company. Don't work for people like this. Companies like this eff'd up all the other segments of trucking and now they are trying to do it to this side. Say no! Plus it's illegal as an employee to be paid with a 1099. And If they are willing to screw the gov'ment you think they won't screw you?

passingthru69, Oxbow and mtoo Thank this.
  7. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    YES!

8. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    1099. Factor company. That ain't gonna last very long.

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Where do you live
    And run away fast. They are bending you over with no reach around or kiss

RedRover, snowman_w900, MJ1657 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. NoBluffBuff

Apr 4, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Wow...no one went lightly with these responses! I've been looking at other trucking companies near home, which is in North Idaho, next to Spokane, Washington.

11. NoBluffBuff

Apr 4, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Also, nobody commented on them only paying me 25% of 85% gross after permits taken out. Dirty?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.