Am I Being Unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by DSK333, Nov 7, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Broker books my truck early Friday morning for a Monday morning p/u with a Tuesday morning drop. I've loaded out of this place before and know there needs to be a p/u number to load. I ask to have it added to the rate con. Broker says it won't be available until afternoon. Friday afternoon comes and said Broker claims product cannot load until Wednesday so still no p/u number.

He says I can wait until Wednesday or cancel the load. I invoice for a cancellation/TONU fee and Broker claims he won't pay it because he didn't "cancel" it but "moved" it. I disagree. He says he will leave negative information about my "deceptive" business practices on Freight Guard if I don't issue a credit and rescind the invoice. Am I being unreasonable by enforcing my billing policy?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Depends. Is this a regular guy you deal with or is it one hit wonder.

If it’s the latter, then I would not delete the invoice.

If it’s a guy you deal with on a regular basis, then I would work with him

4. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    One hit wonder. I definitely have zero inclination to ever work with this guy again. Not holding up to his end of a contractual agreement is a major foul to me. Also, expecting me to lose money and absorb his customer's problems is unacceptable.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Customer is no good... I would forget about it, broker is only feeding you the information as he gets it. I would also decline any offers to load at that shipper in future. It would be different if you showed up or were enroute and got told it's not going. Then you should be paid. In this case... yes it's unfortunate... but you can still likely book something for Monday..

I would do it this way so as not to write off the brokerage firm in entirety, rather the shipper.

jamespmack, Mattflat362 and DSK333 Thank this.
  6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    It was too late to find anything by the time he informed me (late Friday afternoon) and I had the truck booked to pick up another run Tuesday morning (after his customer's drop). I had to deadhead from Baltimore to Dayton to grab the next scheduled run due to his customer's crap. Even though his customer sucks, it's ultimately his contractual obligation to live up to with Carriers. He never should have booked a truck when he technically didn't even have the load (no pick up number).

jamespmack, jeff18, Bakerman and 2 others Thank this.
  7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I agree... I would also have went empty and chalked it up as a lesson learned..

8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    So you would rescind the invoice, let the TONU go and eat the fuel expense?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  9. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I wouldn't rescind it if it's already sent. I wouldn't have sent it is what I'm saying. And yes I would eat the fuel expense, if that next load was for a good customer and paying well. In the future.... I would politely ask if a pickup number is issued yet. No? Not interested at this time, thanks.

I have written off one shipper in my area because they produce sub par produce. It's always an issue at the receivers. So I ask the guy I was hauling these loads for... because I can tell when onions are good or bad I've hauled enough of them.... he says...I understand, but you are the truck driver, not a produce inspector. After 2 nightmare loads I decided I won't load any onions for them ever again. I still work with this brokerage house a lot. They just know not to offer me those loads because I will ask who the shipper is when they say the city and I will say I don't want it at any price. No hard feelings towards them. Issue squarely with shipper. The problem here was it was not the buyer that was paying the freight. It was a 3rd party who bought it and shipper didn't know where it was going. In the end, I had to play hardball with the receiver, he said he's not signing rejected or received. He only had 1 dock. I said well call the cops then because I am not leaving your dock door. It would look like I stole the load if he was allowed to do that and I'm not being done like that. In the end, he receives under protest, an official state produce inspector comes and deems them as fit for human consumption. Both times. They were.... but they were soft but not rotten, and had multiple centers in them so they're low dollar onions....chop them up they'd still be fine. So put that in your pipe and smoke it place in North Carolina wherever it was.

10. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    My $.02 after a question. Can you respond to whatever he posts in an official capacity? Never used these new fangled load boards so I do not know.

Now he ordered a truck for Monday. He did not use the truck Monday. That is a TONU by any definition. Now if he had offered an additional rescheduling fee I would have let it go. By your story he just wanted to order a truck for some indeterminate amount of time. Not acceptable IMHO.

11. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Is there anything in writing in your rate con or tarrifs that addresses this situation? If not then you do not have much to stand on to support your TONU invoice. You can't create things that are not in the contract just because you want to, it is irrelevant if you feel the broker is wrong in his actions, you are operating in a contractual environment.

jamespmack and DSK333 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.