Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by wise2727, Apr 19, 2018.

1. wise2727

wise2727 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Last night while parked at Petros another trailer took my passenger nose mirror off. The petro shop and the nearest dealership does not have the mirror and arm in stock to fix it. My company said I may have to drive with it like that a couple hundred miles to get to a dealership that does have one. I drove around the parking lot and not having that mirror is screwing with me. I am seriously considering refusing to run it, even if it means being parked for 3 days without pay. Am I just being a whiny baby about it? Is the company right that it is not legally required? What would you guys do?

jeremyvit Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Hood mirrors are not required.

You may have to lean forward to see every thing out the door mirrors but the little extra work won’t hurt.

4. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Yeah I would drive it. I sure wouldn't lose 3 days pay over that mirror. Hell I've had them fall off driving down the road. I just kept going. IMO yeah you're being a little picky.

Coffey, rachi, stillwurkin and 24 others Thank this.
  5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    With me, safety comes first but, personally, I can get by without a nose mirror. I understand that "it's messing with you", as it probably would be annoying for me as well, but, I could get by without it for 200 miles. Use other mirrors, use a little more caution & dont take chances when you arent sure. Just be as safe as the situation allows. Dont make any sudden moves & take your time... just "be sure".
    The next thing is if you were in a sweat somehow & needed them to make an exception for you, say getting home for a minor emergency, or you haven't been home for an extra week or so. Would they be willing to do something for you that is "messing with them" to help you? Would they go a little out of their way to help you when you needed something?

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Two Mirriors is a DOT Requirement.

If you cannot put a mirrior on that tractor you cannot go anywhere.

Request your boss to tow to you a spare tractor, take the busted mirrior tractor away while you continue making everyone money.

Sitting for three days on a busted mirrior losing all sorts of pay is not a option. There has to be a way to order the #### thing and have it SHIPPED TO YOU overnight or something so the shop nearest you can install the #### thing.

I am not the right driver to be asking that question, ive run with busted trucks to hell with the rules. In my time we had the bolt on west coast mirriors. Break one backing in somewhere, go to the trucker store, buy one for 20 bucks bolt it on yourself and give the victim a dinner or something as a extra for his trouble.

Today's mirriors with the technology on them etc has removed the ability to easy fix right now with a spare and 20 dollars plus a few bolts.

Regulations

misterG, Marky84 and wise2727 Thank this.
  7. wise2727

wise2727 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Just for clarity, I have both door mirrors and the left side Hood mirror it is the right side Hood mirror that is destroyed.

MACK E-6, buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'd say go about your day.
    You realize those are somewhat of a modern convenience and drivers got the job done without for decades.
    Use caution and you'll be fine till you get it replaced.
    Not worth losing wage over.

npok, starmac, TaterWagon#62 and 7 others Thank this.
  9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I only have a right side hood mirror and my door mirrors. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    THAT?

RUN IT

ha. Shows how dumb I am sometimes.

However...

Take extra care and eyeball everything on that side. Those little round mirriors are awesome in their way. (Just not the new Mack ones ugh...)

11. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Ive only ever driven trucks with hood mirrors, now 6 years later I got no hood mirrors on a semi long nose. I get around just fine where im backing into farms as much as im driving on the roads.

Itll take some getting used to, but as long as you keep moving in your seat, know 100% what is on the passenger side, use all your other mirrors, lower passenger door window? and just slow down when making that decision to use the right side of the truck....you'll be fine.
    20180419_085413.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.