Am I outta my mind?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Danvitt, Feb 12, 2015.

1. avenger79

avenger79 Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    in much the same boat here. I spent my whole life wanting to drive. joined the Army as artillery, drove everything in the motorpool. got out of the Army, drove a truck for a short time, then went to school like everyone said I should. got a job, got laid off, drove a little more, back to school, another degree, back to work.

now days I seldom apply for jobs, they contact me and ask for resume'. I still spend every day wanting to go back and drive more.

people keep telling me I would hate the grind if I did it long term. 4 1/2 years in the Army was long and I loved every day.

now days I hate Monday. back to the drama queens and mouth breathers. I hate the finger pointing, the politics and constantly dodging the bus you're about to be thrown under, etc.

no more kids at home now days, so I get closer to the dream every day. Have a couple accomplishments to finish this year (mostly charity work that I don't want to bail on) than .....

as far as coming back I probably could, but doubt if I would.

funny part for me is when people find out what I do, the first thing they say, is you don't seem like someone who works in an office. LOL I appreciate that statement. Passed a truck Sunday on my way home, on the side was written "the good life".

Danvitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Danvitt

Danvitt Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    ^ Sounds like we work at the same place. For those of you who having been driving everyday for the past decade or two and can't understand why some of us fantasize about driving... Try putting up with this for a couple of years. Imagine being stuck inside the same 4 walls everyday with 50 coworkers "think dispatchers". the gossip, brown-nosers, the backstabbers,. The stuff I've seen it's the same stuff I see with my kids when they were like 6 years old. Nobody can tell these people to grow up, grow a pair, quit worrying about everyone else, and do your own job because we live in a politically correct world and it would be unthinkable if we were to hurt their feelings.

Makes the open road, the familiar sound of the engine, the peace, the quiet, seem so right. Sure there's and occasional p*ss ant 4 wheeler (<--my dad drove and I heard that one alot), the dispatcher, and maybe a disgruntled shipper or receiver, but they make up a small part of the day.

4. avenger79

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS

EXACTLY!!!!

Danvitt Thanks this.
  5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I followed the advice from my (Sea Daddy) civilian shipmate many years ago. During my second tour of duty (I was one of six active duty Navy aboard) I was stationed aboard a Military Sealift Command T-AK cargo ship and an old sailor told me "you stay at your job as long as you like it". He also told me you get out or change when you can not stand going to work. I kept that advise until I had 20 years in the Navy and I got out and started to OTR driving. I did have a little help from the Navy and changed over to the Seabees. But the advice still was the same. I retired again just a couple of years ago and I'm very comfortable. I'm married and have one son. It was tough at first with my son being so young and me on the road but my goal was to haul gasoline. I made it and would never go back. I made more money that ever, was home every night, and had great benefits to retire with.

My advice to anyone that is going to driving school. Have enough money to live on when you go to work, that's after school. I figured mine was right around what it cost to live for 6 months. You're going to be broke for awhile and Chief you right about not knowing what your paycheck will be. You'll have to get used to that because that's the way it is.

Cali kid and Danvitt Thank this.
  6. avenger79

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    I tell people that in engineering as well. we have way too many folks living on a string here. you never know when they will bring you a box and tell you to clean out your desk.
    I had a coworker who freely admitted that if he was laid off he would lose his house after one lost paycheck.

the one proven fact in all businesses, all the money and degrees in the world can't buy common sense.

Danvitt and Cali kid Thank this.
  7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    This is actually quite funny. The ONLY thing different about being a truck driver is that the bus is real.

It's no better as a driver Avenger. It's just different. The freedom you seek is a myth. And the monotony is still there except if you all asleep at your new desk, people die. Longer hours, 70 hr work weeks (or more) and away from home, and maybe less pay because you're now a rookie again.

8. avenger79

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    yeah I know that what you say is basically true. fact is after many years at any job, most people want something different. I choose to "dream about" going back to something I have done before and loved doing. yes longer hours, less pay, harder physical work etc but when you enjoy what you are doing the other things don't matter as much.

it's very hard to explain it to people. I'm not a "dreamer" looking for the BJ and the Bear lifestyle. I fully realize most of what comes with driving. My dad did it for a while, I have done it for a very short time. I love to drive.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.