Am I over-reacting?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Valeriesmiled26, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Valeriesmiled26

Valeriesmiled26 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Once again, the answers and advice I've gotten have been nothing but helpful and honest. Yes, we're doing good. I've realized that the best thing to do is save, save, save. That seems to help. I think that if my husband sees that I'm scrimping and saving more and more, he'll start to realize that maybe there are a few areas where he can do the same. His take home pay, after advances, is about 1200 a month. Yes, it sucks, and I don't know why it's like that, but I've been told that when you're starting at the bottom, the dispatchers can pretty much do what they want to you. That seems to be the case. He's been stuck in Omaha for the past three days because problems keep popping up between his dispatchers and the loading company.(He's with Stevens, by the way) Since it was the weekend, no one could tell him anything, or do anything. So there he sat. When there are three or four times of that happening, it really puts a dent in our budget. Even with his truck loaded with food, he still has to use money for those days that he's stuck there.
    *sigh*
    A few more months, and God-willing, he'll be able to get a job locally and be home at least on the weekends. Anything's got to be better than this.
    Again, thank ya'll so much for the help. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joendeniese

joendeniese Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Dixie
    A lot of slow freight out there right now for a lot of companies. Still, 1200. a month is awful. (Is he liking Stevens THAT much?!)

Assuming he has a fridge on the truck (like we do) consider using freezer bags. When you cook at home, put a meal for him in one. Put 'em in your freezer. After his time home, getting ready to leave, you have a good amount of meals he can take with him. Boil eggs. My Joe takes a dozen with him. I'm a cooking fool, and I try to load him up with stuff that varied and appetizing.

Someone above said something about $100. a week out on the road and thats about right.. but that can be shaved too. Truckstop meals can sometimes be covered with the points awarded with the fuel card.

Cigarettes can be purchased much cheaper, not only in Kentucky, but in NC, SC, Virginia and some places in MO and GA.

Ultimately, HE is the one thats going to have to budget and if hes not willing to do that, you've got a hard row to plow. Put it down on paper cause most men are visual. But that would be a hard point to argue if its there in black and white.

Good luck, Little Mama , hang in there. :smt083 Sometimes its darkest right before dawn.

Deniese

4. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    WOW, if he is advancing as much as $150 a week, thats $600 a month. Seems like he needs to find better ways, and be far more thrifty than that. Even if you add that in your talkin 1800 a month after deductions, what kind of deductions, any medical insurance, thats not cheap, but his pay his still on the low side for sure.

5. bowpeep

bowpeep Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2007
    i can feel with u my hubby is gone months on end. i give him so much a week to live off .. while hes out working.. he dont drive that much anymore he went into diamond grinding (makin the roads alot smoother) but hes still gotta drive that monster of a machine around... lol
    if ur hubby going to be away from home he should be making some kind of money... check in to getting him into being a water truck driver for diamond grinding (thats what hubby does) he makes that a lil less a week.. just tryin to be helpful and if he does do it ..u and lil'man can go see him i chase hubby down alot.. lol

to be honest he really needs to change job.. i agree with someone else said talk to him on his down time ..but u two really need to talk and soon or its going to rip u two apart and thats anyways a bad thing..

its all my opinion good luck hun if u want more info let me know (hugs)

6. Stormcroe

Stormcroe Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Hubbard, OH
    I dont know idf there is an alldies were you live, but there food is cheap. If you go there with $50.00 to $100.00 you can feed yourself for several weeks. Try to get a microwave it will save you money in the long run.

Be Safe out there
    Storm Crow

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.