Am I Too Old

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by rjjr1963, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    It is hard to prove and I have even been through this some years ago when I was just in my early 70s. Had the "proof" that I was discriminated against, wrote the EEOC with the evidence enclosed. Some months went by and received a letter from the EEOC stating that they could find no discrimination, . but if I wanted to pursue it, I could. I talked to an attorney and he turned to me, "forget it" he said. "you do not have the resources to fight this. So and so has polygraph tests, this one has back x-rays, another has the physical ability test, all forms of discrimination. Just find yourself another job" The EEOC is like FMCSA, a friggin joke. Waste of money!

I took his advice and found myself another job. Even now, I have found several companies that are willing to hire me at 84 years old. Come Spring and good weather, I might go back, but right now, I am going to sit by the gas logs.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Tell that to the airlines pilot association.

4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Your right, it is the law but companies have a way of getting around it. 80 year old shows up at a trucking company looking for a job is told "we are not hiring right now"

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    In "at will employment" states, no reason has to be given, the burden is on the applicant if he or she feels discrimination is an issue.

rachi Thanks this.
  6. WakeUpTheEchoes

WakeUpTheEchoes Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    It is a manufactured issue that has somehow found life in this thread. But, that’s why those posting about it being an issue are not in positions to make such hiring decisions.

7. WakeUpTheEchoes

WakeUpTheEchoes Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    Well, I would believe that the EEOC didn’t do anything for you because the agency doesn’t handle individual cases. They provide resources on where to turn and how to file a complaint, but they don’t go to bat for an individual person on a case. And the attorney telling that you don’t have the resources to fight it...he wasn’t saying you don’t have a compelling case. He was saying you don’t have the money to afford me. Just my thoughts.

8. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I can’t speak for older ages, but I can confirm that at 56 in good health with a 2 year card, I got offers at the 4 companies I applied to out of CDL school. They look at standard hiring qualifications—physical, driving record, employment history, criminal history. Age doesn’t really come into play, at least for someone in their 50’s. I suspect that goes for 60’s too.

rachi Thanks this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    So, if I was to say, if you have to ask that, maybe you are.
    Would that be insensitive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.