Am I too short to drive

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lilbit68, Apr 3, 2011.

1. lilbit68

lilbit68 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Westmoreland, TN
    I am suppose to start school on the 11th. I was getting caught up in all the hype and excitement of driving without even considering one thing. My height. I'm a 5 ft tall woman. My father in law and other men I know say that I will not be able to reach the clutch very well. Any short people that can answer this before I start something I may not even be able to do. I've got my CDL permit, my medical card and ready to go. But still have those telling me I cant do it, im too short. Help me prove them wrong please.:biggrin_25511:

lilbit

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

you'll be fine, trucks now adays have very adjustable seats and steering wheels. At my last job we had a driver that was maybe 5' tall and like 59 years old and could drive just fine.

the other Lilbit on here is about your size too and she drove...

American Trucker

lilbit68 Thanks this.
  4. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    That might have been true in the older trucks but the newer trucks are much more driver friendly. I don't think you will have any trouble getting the seat slid forward enough so that you can reach the clutch.

Woodys and lilbit68 Thank this.
  5. RoadRaid3r

RoadRaid3r Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Lima, Ohio
    There is a very small lady driving a condo on our dedicated account. Fitting into the truck and reaching all controls and pedals is no concern.

Woodys and lilbit68 Thank this.
  6. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    There was a guy that used to work for our company, who could spread his legs a bit and stand up inside his Peterbilt 379 day cab...he drives still today for another company. It can totally be done, matter of fact, I know someone on this board with a similar user name & stature that might have some helpful tips!

lilbit68 Thanks this.
  7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Get an automatic truck and you can set the cruise and even make waffles LOL.....

seriously tho, i think you will be just fine.

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Heck; your a foot taller than the other lil bit. So you should be OK!:biggrin_2559:

lilbit68, Lilbit and JimDriv3r Thank this.
  9. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    An entire foot??? You're being a bit lenient today, aren't you? :biggrin_25519:

10. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    For a while, I drove a dump truck for a guy who was exactly five foot nil. We gave him hell about it, made jokes about his height... every time he passed me, I'd call him on the CB and then tell him I was just making sure he was in there, because I couldn't see him in the cab, and thought I might have to call the DOT and tell them there's a runaway truck going down the road. But he drove that thing. And the truck he was driving (CL713 Mack) was a lot less ergonomical than the typical road tractors you'd be starting out in. There may be some makes of truck where you'd might have some problems with how the mirrors are, but you're really not likely to encounter any of them.

lilbit68 Thanks this.
  11. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    We need more midgets in trucking. They don't wear out the cheap junk seats like the fatboys do.

wicked, lilbit68 and U4EA Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.