AM reception bad

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by chp56, Sep 20, 2017.

1. chp56

chp56 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Barstow, Ca
    I thought it was because I'm a couple hundred miles away,but my car has no problem picking up L.A. stations-I think my truck (09 Pro-star) is too electronically noisy-any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Radio reception on my 13 cascadia is awful too.

4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    My 18 crapcadia am works sometimes real good and other times 20 miles out of the city I lose the station.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    FM - Line of sight
    AM - will bounce off the ionosphere. Ionosphere - daytime is higher in the sky, night it lowers more towards the earth so you will have more "bounce" of your signal.

6. chp56

chp56 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Barstow, Ca
    Well,since my car receives the them ok,I know that the signals are there-I've just got to boost them somehow,and block the noise from the truck-is there a special antenna available for this, or a capacitor trick? Come on techies, I know you've figured this out, lol!

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you've got a cheap handheld am radio like for emergency use, take it inside the truck and see what sort of reception it may offer (with everything running including hvac), if it too is bad, there's probably not much you can do to eliminate all the noise your truck is emitting.

But if it seems to work much better then likely the am antenna in your radio sucks. Maybe you have a front jack in your radio where you can input the output of a portable radio for those times you want an radio entertainment.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    just see if you can get a better AM/FM radio, and jerry-rig it to the back of your cab? of course, you will need several feet of cabling.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.