Ambient Sensors

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by dermetzgerei, Oct 7, 2012.

1. dermetzgerei

dermetzgerei Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I figure this is a hot topic right now for a lot of drivers here at SNI.

What are your opinions on the sensors? I for one am not very happy about it, for multiple reasons. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions, though, before I let myself get more upset about it. Especially since they are already being installed onto the trucks.

I drive OTR, so naturally keeping warm during my resets is my main concern. Not a fan of my truck turning off on me in traffic, either...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    We'll see what happens, but it doesn't sound good up to this point. The ridiculous explanation they gave us on crossroads was insulting to my intelligence too. The best part is when they compare us to CR England, Werner and Knight. If we are comparable to these 3 companies, maybe we're going down the toilet with these bottom feeders.

48Packard and dermetzgerei Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    you aren't going down the toilet till swift gets thrown into the mix. LOL.

jlgale Thanks this.
  5. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    what is the sensor for? I have not herd of this. Can someone please explain.

6. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Prevents you from idling when the temperature is between 20-70 degrees

7. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    That sounds crazy. Can you not beat it by not setting the tractor break or something like that?

8. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    They are designed to shut the truck down after 4 minutes of idling. Even if the truck is in gear and rolling at idle. Not setting the brakes won't accomplish anything.

9. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    What if you are in traffic? This seems dangerous and illegal, no?

10. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Even in traffic. Nothing illegal about it. There have been several times where I sat for so long in traffic that I shut the truck off myself. No reason to waste the fuel when the interstate is shut down and nobody is moving anyways.

Originally I thought it seemed unsafe, but really when you think about it it's not. Worst that happens is the truck stops moving at less than 5 mph. If the engine isn't running the truck won't roll in gear.

The easy way to avoid it in traffic is to just push the clutch in and push the accelerator down for a second to take it past idle, that should reset the timer.

dermetzgerei Thanks this.
  11. dermetzgerei

dermetzgerei Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree with you completely. Though I think that as a driver, it should be our call when the truck is turned off, especially while on the road, it's not something I'm going to waste time stressing out about, until it somehow screws me over.

The statement on Crossroads is definitely pretty insulting though.

a) for a 34 hour reset, they say to split the time up in and out of your truck. May sound okay on paper, but even if you do find a truck stop that you want/can hang out in, what about the second night sleep? I don't know about other drivers, but I spend on average 18 hours of my reset sleeping. And my truck heater lasts about 11 hours. What does Schneider really expect me to do in that case?

B) I'm in a black truck. Even orange or white or whatever, 70 degrees outside could mean 75-80 in the truck, even with windows open.

If Schneider is too cheap to get APUs, too cheap to let us idle when we see fit (which affects our bonus anyhow), and now puts us in the position where we may have to worry about no heat, how can I not be insulted? I'd rather work for a company that at least showed some respect for their employees.

And then of course there is OnGuard... But I won't get going on that.

Someone should let them know they could probably save quite a bit of cash by just hiring monkeys to drive for them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    moosc, The Snowman and Female Driver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.