American Driver Training Or Smith & Solomon

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Merilin, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Merilin

Merilin Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    DE
    Both of these are in my area. I've heard people saying I should go to American Driver Training but I see more good reviews for Smith & Solomon. Would it matter which one I went to in the long run?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are they both 160 hrs?
    If so, which is the cheapest?

Merilin Thanks this.
  4. Merilin

Merilin Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    DE
    Both are over ten weeks and at 160 hrs. I know Smith & Solomon is around $5K and offers lifetime job placement. American Driver just advertises that people from their school are highly sought after and they have a "97% employment rate for graduates who may receive $3,000 to $10,000 in signing bonuses from top over-the-road trucking companies". It doesn't say anything as to what they charge. I also looked up reviews. Smith & Solomon is at five stars with thirty reviews going back three years. American Driver has four point three stars with fifty-five reviews going back three years. They have seven one star reviews with comments within the last year, the most recent of which was nine months ago. One comment speaks of the training being bad and another says that the tuition does not stick to the agreed upon rate. Another comment further down rated them low and said training is $5.2K.

So far I'm leaning towards Smith & Solomon but a lot of people have been trying to push me towards American Driving so I wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about them.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Call some companies you're interested in and ask if they hire from either or both schools.
    Better quality trucks to train with is important, so factor that in.

Merilin Thanks this.
  6. Merilin

Merilin Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    DE
    Is there any sort of special site or anything to look for trucking jobs? There aren't any that I'm interested in right now. I'm just trying to get a decent paying job. So far I've been using Indeed but they require a year of training for any of the jobs posted there.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your best source of jobs for new cdl school graduates is right here on this forum; no better place.
    Edit: you don't need job placement help from cdl schools; we'll help you right here.
    Take a look at Dot Transportation; good outfit for a family man.
    www.drivefordot.com
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.