AmeriGas bobtail driver

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Roadgeek395, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Roadgeek395

Roadgeek395 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hello.

Has anyone ever work for AmeriGas as a bobtail driver? I've been thinking about applying but don't know much about the propane business.

What are some pros and cons about the job?

What is a typical day?

Thanks for any input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    It sounds like you del. to homes and buss. with tanks in their yard in the winter you would be very busy, now at this time of year you may be spray painting L/P tanks in the fenced in yard?

4. Roadgeek395

Jan 24, 2017
    Thank you.
    Any information on safety training and pay would be greatly appreciated

5. Jasonmurrish

Jasonmurrish Bobtail Member

May 25, 2017
    That depends on your location. You can check on glassdoor.com. I would say about $18/he. Real simple work but don't get complacent. BTW America's have onboard cameras that will tattle in you.

Roadgeek395 Thanks this.
  6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I've never driven a bobtail, only a transport, but I can suggest taking a can of wasp spray with you, they love to build nests around propane tanks. I bet it's 10x worse with residential tanks that have the domed cover over the valves & fittings.

Rubber or vinyl gloves will help keep you from getting a freeze burn on your hands. A rubber apron and face shield are good ideas, too.

If you don't have a spanner wrench or a J wrench, then use a rubber mallet instead of a brass hammer to tighten and loosen the fitting nuts.

U.S. Otriad and Roadgeek395 Thank this.
  7. U.S. Otriad

U.S. Otriad Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2017
    You can do well with AmeriGas. I worked for Petrolane YEARS ago (bought out by AmeriGas) as a service tech, filled in as a bobtail driver, then moved over to PTI and hauled transports all over the country in the winter(s).
    If you tell me what part of the country you live in; I can hook you up with good info.

8. Roadgeek395

Jan 24, 2017
    I appreciate your response. I live in the Eastern Sierra region of California. Bishop, California to be exact.

I have tanker experience but have never hauled Hazmat.

What could I expect starting pay to be?

How often do you have to be on call? Is it a rotating schedule?

Thanks!!

9. U.S. Otriad

U.S. Otriad Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2017
    Depending on what they're running for bobtails now, you're going to be hauling 3-5K gallon tank at 80% capacity. In your neck of the woods, they probably have the newer equipment. Now, while it is a simple job, it's not an easy one. Rattle snakes to poisonous spiders, to mean dogs, ornery customers and ####### driveways to get into keep it can be exciting.
    Amerigas will train you thoroughly; they are a safety oriented company BUT they are policy heavy, too.
    You will rotate on-call, how often depends on how many people are on the roster. You may catch it once a week, once a month, etc...
    Benefits are good, uniforms provided, etc...
    Great opportunity for advancement & relocating.
    I would expect you'd start in the $16.50 range hourly out there, with a raise after 90 days.
    Plenty of overtime in winter.
    Get in now, get trained, get your route down and get organized before the snow flies, that way, when winter hits, you can make the money. Just be prepared to make $33-$35K for your first year, as you learn and get certified in Lp work - then, you can easily exceed $48K and up. Work your way up to a Class A tanker with them (PTI) and you can break the upper $60k easily. When I hauled Lp on tri axle tankers, I never made under $63K.
    The trick is, make your money when it's cold, and budget it for the warm weather when gas is slow. Plus, get yourself cross trained as a service tech when it's slow.
    I have to close this, but I'll share more later.

snowman_w900 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  10. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Now is the time of year when the propane companies have a lot lower rates. I don't know how many people take advantage of the savings, but I know I would if we still were on propane.

11. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

What is an amerigas "bobtail" driver?

How productive is it to drive around bobtail, not delivering anything?

motocross25 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.