amputee drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hercajordan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. RollingRecaps

RollingRecaps Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I read an article a few years back of a trucker restricted to a wheel chair. He has a lift that lifts his chair to the truck. Maybe someone else can link the article.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I actually saw a situation like that; seems like it was United Van Lines, but not sure right now.

4. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I do not think missing a limb would be a problem. I meet drivers everyday missing a brain!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  5. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    Knew a man who lost his left leg just above the knee in a trucking accident,he thought his driving day's were over but went to the DMV and they said he had to do a driving test to prove he could operate the truck properly and safely, he passed!! Drove a 15spd for a couple of years but it was hard on his hip and back because he had to thrust his hip down to press the clutch! He bought an automatic and drove another 12 before retiring,

6. Fightlord39

Fightlord39 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2019
    I've been trying to get a cdl for the past few years,today i went in for a dot physical and the doc refuse to do it because i only have one arm. I was told that i have to go get a skills performance exam and the sad part is that no one in my city would give me one not even a physical therapist They claim to not know what it is, i was wondering was the functional capacity exam is considered the same thing. Its really hard to get a job being able disabled. I finally found something that i know for a fact that i can do but the doc in my area are refusing to help me. Can anyone in this forum give me any suggestions or can please give me to i formation that i need? My name is sam......thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  7. Fightlord39

Fightlord39 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2019

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Look at this from the FMCSA website. Hope it helps.
    Skill Performance Evaluation Certificate Application New Driver Application Package

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.