An 80/20 Split

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by madmoneymike5, Jan 21, 2020.

1. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I am currently a company driver for this carrier. I know the miles are there because I've driven them. I have the owner's phone number on speed dial and he knows all ~100 of his drivers by name. He and everyone in the office are super focused on keeping turnover among drivers down. I've never experienced a carrier like this one. It's...weird! And nice at the same time.

Yes, a handful and they're household names—names you would recognize. But I can also go find my own loads if I want. Some of their leased drivers only pull loads they find themselves out of preference and the office is fine with that. Others do a mix, while others just take what is given to them.

All drivers and employees are on a bi-weekly pay schedule, but completed loads are included on the next paycheck. I don't have to wait for the customers to pay nor do I pay any fees for factoring, etc. I don't mind a bi-weekly paycheck. I'd take a monthly paycheck if I could because it simplifies my budgeting process. (I do zero-based budgeting which means that every time I get paid, I have to sit down and decide what to do with each and every dollar until I have zero dollars left to allocate. So the more frequent that process is, the more time I have to spend on my finances.)

Thanks for this. PTO and blower? Not sure what that is.

Looking at the responses so far, it's nice to know that the number being offered to me isn't absurd.

Coffey and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

If it's cheap freight, 80% still is bad.

80% of 1.00 is .80 cpm
    80% of 3.00 is 2.40 cpm

4. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I see now what you're getting at. Well, let's just go forth from here with the assumption that since I'm allowed to pick my own freight with this carrier, I'll use my years of experience in the industry to make smart decisions about what freight I should haul and shouldn't. That way, we can just keep the conversation to the original question of "what should 20% of revenue buy a leased-on driver," and avoid the quicksand that is the "cheap freight" debate.

slow.rider, D.Tibbitt and jamespmack Thank this.
  5. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

@ 20-25%

They should provide

Trailers
    Insurance less bobtail
    Ifta
    Operating authority
    Payment in less than 14 days

You should provide
    Tractor
    Bobtail insurance
    License plate
    Add your trailer at .11 cents per mile. Van or standard flat. Specialty trailer more.

It can go either way on the trailer part. I prefer my own trailer.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Twenty percent of what? Just the line haul? Or does it include fuel surcharge, layovers, stop pay. etc? Do they pay tolls? Are you pulling their trailer? Do you get to take advantage of their fuel discounts, and if not, do they control where you buy fuel?

A common tactic is to offer prospective drivers one good number, then make it back somewhere else.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I could be wrong in saying this. But doesn't the license plate go under and stay with the company name? Even though it's registered to the truck vin.

When you leave. They keep the plate. Correct?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Anyone can register the plate with proper paperwork. Lease and affidavit.

Anytime I was leased on plate,bobtail, and 2290 went in my name. Why? You can threaten me. I'll peel your name off and go home legally. You not stranded and ready to lease on to the next company.

9. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    It's 20% of whatever net amount the load makes. So, yes, including fuel surcharge if the brokers listed that separately (they usually don't I'm told), detention, stops, etc. I pay tolls. I am pulling their trailers at no cost. I do get to take advantage of their fuel discounts, and if I want to take advantage, then yes, I have to fuel at their negotiated brands. They do not, however, tell me which specific places to fuel along a route; I get to decide that for myself. And I'll be looking at the pre-IFTA price as their 20% doesn't cover my IFTA liability. That is to say, I pay IFTA.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    In my opinion their percentage isn’t out of line. You should be getting 100% of the fuel surcharge passed on to you though.

And to answer your earlier question, I need a PTO and blower to unload the pneumatic tank trailer I pull. They run around $10k if you have to buy one, but these guys install it and there’s no up front cost to us, just part of the percentage they hold.

slow.rider, Bean Jr. and madmoneymike5 Thank this.
  11. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I agree that you should receive 100% fuel surcharge. But nothing stops them from charging trailer rent. It comes out equal. Trailer is worth about 10 cents a mile last deal I was in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.