An old man's career goes flat, Snackbar moves to open deck

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    They are probably doing this to see if he is a runner or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I think so...my dispatcher said this doesn't have to deliver until Thursday, but if I can get it there early (hint hint), call them and see if they'll take it. 6000 lbs, 3000 miles, in this truck...if WY is not showing it's windy ###, it'll be there Wednesday...depending on how long it takes to load. Picking up something big. Load info says 6 pc, 102 x 96 x 60 each, 1000 lbs per pc, and a 53' conestoga was requested.

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Don.jpg

5. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Dang was it hot yesterday. Loaded outside Charleston. 6 pieces taking almost the whole deck, but we misjudged how much. I don't have much room on my truck's back porch for my tarps, so I have been carrying them inside the conestoga. The loader thought there would be enough room if I left them lengthwise. Got the 1st 4 pieces loaded, secured them, he took pictures of the securment, then rolled the conestoga forward, loaded #5, then when he went to load #6 we were about 8" too long. Had to unsecure my tarps, turn them sideways, then unsecure the 1st 4 pieces and shift them, then put the last 2 on. All told, it took about an hour longer than expected, and the trucks thermometer said it was 107° on the concrete. I got everything resecured, tarp closed and made it to the Pilot just west of the I-95/26 junction and called it a day. It made me realize how out of shape I am...plus I got a nice sunburn on my head...I need to get me a Panama Jack hat. Load doesn't need to be in Kent WA until Thursday, but I will be out there Wednesday mid-morning.

When I talked to my dispatcher yesterday, he asked when I was going home next...1st load out of the house and he's already asking that? I told him late September. My physical is due mid-October, so that'll give me a cushion so I can get home and get that done without waiting until the last minute, plus it'll give me a couple months to get up to speed doing a bunch of different freight before the 4-letter word starts being added to weather forcasts. He said that they'll run the living dog #### out of me between now and then, I said run me until I say "uncle"

6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Hat, long sleeves, and sun screen go a long way. Sometimes load long goes quick, sometimes “it’s a process”.

FYI you don’t need to carry tarps with a QuickDraw trailer. Some guys do but they aren’t “supposed to”. They just want to hold onto a good set. Any time you have an open trailer make sure you take tarps, even if your current load Doesn’t require them. I hope I’m not over explaining that, but the amount of drivers that get half way across the country with no tarps only to get dispatched on a tarp load is amazing.

7. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Craig advised grabbing a set while they had some in the shop. Figured as long as I had a set I'd be pulling an aero. Wish they had headache racks with a tarp shelf

8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Yeah that’s one of our largest short comings as far as equipment goes. Lack of storage for tarps and padding. We all should have Inclosed headache racks but guys just tear them up. You might have seen the headache rack grave yard in Arlington, mostly from guys putting loads into the doors.

9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    When you think things can't get any stranger....I was walking in to the Oak Grove, MO Petro taking my 30, and I see a guy with a long retractable leash walking his......pig. yes, you read correctly, his pig!!!

10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Don’t want to imagine what his truck smells like if he’s driving a rig..smh

11. Jebster

Jebster Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Fairborn, Ohio
    Pigs are actually very clean animals.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.