Another ac window unit thread

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kev2809, Jun 10, 2019.

1. kev2809

kev2809 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2015
    ive read a ton of threads covering the topic..but most of you guys run them in a sleeper to cover the over night heat without your truck on.

i drive a dump truck..and the truck a/c is a lost cause. even when working, its nowhere near cold enough to make it comfortable. better off riding around texas with the windows down. i got the idea from another dump truck i see occasionally riding around here locally.

i wired a 3000/6000 peak inverter to my batteries, and mounted a small 5000 btu unit below my rear window (day cab). it cools great on the little trial runs so far (had it less than a week)...but what i do notice is i hear my alt belts squeel more under throttle at times with the ac running. and i also notice the battery meter drop to 12 volts while idling parked. the belts are getting replaced this week anyways since i need shorter ones. the alternator is only 2 years old. is the volt drop something to be worried about or is nornal..along with it squeeling at times...

the truck runs all day...dont turn it off until i get home unless were slow at the pits, and the ac doest get turned on until about 11am to 5pm.

truck is a 9400 international 9400...

6wheeler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Are the alternator belts lose?

That would cause low volts and squealing.

The ac unit i had was only 300 watts.

It sounds like you ac is somewhat working. Have you looked into making sure it's fully charged and working properly? Or do you have holes in your floors and what not letting engine heat inside?

4. frito bandito

frito bandito Light Load Member

May 31, 2019
    I'd look into getting a higher output alternator.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  5. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    ya it definitely works..but electronic stuff makes me nervous sometimes. i dont have a lot of knowledge about watts and amps and what auto systems and batteries can handle. i have 4 batteries. i know one is a duracell sli31sa..other 3 are napa that were already in the truck.

but to answer your question..yes my belts are a little loose. i replaced them about 3 years ago and they slip a little on start up now. i cant adjust them anymore because my alternator is already really close to my frame. i ordered 2 new ones just now that will get put on tonight...the new ones are 1" shorter so i can adjust them easier and pull the alt back away from the frame. im hoping that cleans up the squeeling and solves the volt drop from the belt slipping.

i hope i dont have to buy a higher amp alternator..

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Sounds like the belts are slipping, that’s all, once replaced the bolts should go up. Alternators running more with inverter, I’m guessing, belts are slipping more.

7. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    ordered 2 gates belts and only one came in so i had to slap one in and bought a crappy masterpro brand in til the other gates comes in tomorrow. one tightens up snug and the inside one is still a little loose. ill try it out tomorrow and see how it runs. either way the masterpro is coming back off tomorrow

8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Dual v-belts have to be a matched set. The 'other' one coming in tomorrow isn't going to do you any good. They have to be cut from the tube right next to each other.

9. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    and how do get them cut like that?

so if your going to a local auto parts store how can you get a "matching set" other than buying 2 of the same part numbered/brand belts?

v belts drive me crazy sometimes....

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    They’ll stretch to match evenly

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Besides v belts run on the v part of belt.If new ones slip, might have a wore out pulley.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.