Another Broker ??

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by amscontr, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sjmay

sjmay Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Just ask your boss for the rate confirmation sheet, if you are paid on %, they should have no trouble giving that to you, if they hem and haw about it, that tells you all you need to know.

Grumppy and amscontr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Ahhh, now THAT would be important information to know... But as another poster mentioned, that would be between the employee & the employer, not the broker.

4. amscontr

amscontr Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Illinois
    Sometimes my employer asks me to find brokered freight when we get into areas they don't have a customer base. This particular time they found this load. So when I called the broker for the load info. (per the broker's request) he admitted he wouldn't tell the rate because of the fact other employers were skimming from their drivers.
    It's amazing how many people jump the gun and defend the practice of hiding the rate of pay from the driver who is paid % of the load. Only 1 logistics company TQL does this that I have ran across so far and I have been dealing with brokers from the Trip Lease days of the 1980's to the current date. All of the others I talk to have no problem telling me the rate.
    So it looks like a few on here must have some "issues" with telling a driver what they're paying. When you're paid commission it doesn't matter if you're an independent contractor or company driver the rate is your business. If a broker has something to hide from the get go then you know they are worthless and I deal with plenty of good brokers in saying that.

5. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    We provide rate confirmations to our drivers. That is actually what we use for dispatch so I clearly have no issue with letting my drivers see the rates. And actually have issues with companies that don't provide this as a matter of doing business.

But the business relationship is between me and my drivers. Not between the broker and my drivers. I would expect a broker to call me and ask if it was OK if they had not already been dealing with the driver. This is just good business practice on behalf of the broker. Taking the word of someone else on what my relationship is with the driver is bad form.

It is my choice when and how I communicate what the rate is with the driver. I give the confirmation to the driver up front 100% of the time. But that is MY choice and not the brokers.

amscontr and ralph Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.