Another Cascadia Opti-Idle question.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by twelve25oh9, Nov 16, 2021.

1. twelve25oh9

twelve25oh9 Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    2020 Cascadia Opti-Idle woes…so, anyone figured out how to make it so the fkn radio doesn’t pop on full blast with the weather station every time the truck turns on to idle? I’m getting pretty sick of being jolted from sleep every night because I have to choose between Opti-Idle for comfort mode or truck completely off and being frozen out of sleep because my Espar heater randomly stops working overnight. Also, if I use Opti-Idle, about every other night, my inverter alarm goes off and I have to turn it off, which means I can’t play my white noise machine that helps me stay asleep. Isn’t Opti-Idle designed specifically to manage battery draw? What gives? Faulty inverter? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks…again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Change to radio to rear aux then turn down the volume

tscottme and twelve25oh9 Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Truck batteries could be getting weak. Sounds like the radio is losing all power and resetting. My 2020 truck with 8 batteries and Opti idle the radio will basically cut off when starter it going and the Bluetooth will disconnect. The radio does not reset to weather channel full blast. I use the AUX plug on front of radio. That basically over rides the radio setting when I plug into it. So you could try plugging cord into it see if that stops it.

Lots of inverter maybe all have low voltage cut off. They read low voltage before the Opti idle computer does and cut off power themselves. Some inverters let you change the low voltage cut off. See if you can set lower it to 11 something. Opti idle is set to start engine at 12.1 on the dash display

twelve25oh9 Thanks this.
  5. twelve25oh9

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    Okay, thanks. I’ll have the batteries checked out when I go home.

6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Diffuser screen gets clogged up over time on those. They are cheap and easy to replace once you get the unit out of the truck. Getting it out can be a real PIA though.

twelve25oh9 Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Turn the radio OFF using the radio's On/Off, not the truck key. Or you can simply set radio volume to 0 and leave it on.

twelve25oh9, Magoo1968 and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  8. twelve25oh9

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    So I found the remote for the inverter, turns out that every time the opti idle starts the truck, it causes a brief power shut off (same as when you turn the key from on to start) and the stupid fkn inverter registers this as low voltage. So, basically, I have to wake up to the screeching alarm every time the truck turns itself on and flip the inverter off and back on and then it’s fine. Until the next time. I think I just have to sleep without using the inverter, which is the only time I really need it lol. At least I figured out my bunk heater. Nothing wrong with it, it just doesn’t operate when the truck is completely off, only when opti idle is running. So, no charger overnight, no white noise. At least my reefer is on continuous mode the past 5 days, so that helps me sleep. Thanks y’all. Think I’ll see if the company will let me bring them my own inverter to install.

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm not sure how you were listening to white noise when you sleep. You can use a bluetooth speaker or ear buds if you are using your phone. I got used to wearing ear plugs all day and also wear them when I sleep. I use these ear plugs. They are soft and the sides are smooth. I've tried every other brand over the last 25 years and these are great, but it will take an adjustment period before you may want to sleep in them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.