Another issue..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Humbretrucking, Aug 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbretrucking

Humbretrucking Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2020
    I had a shop install new air bags.. the shop did not check the leveling valve or attempt to level out the tractor prior to releasing it to me.

because the air bags were over inflated.. the tractors axles could not flex.. causing spin outs & zero traction..

Even with 30k load.. traction warning lights were popping up constantly..

Every turn felt unstable.. I believe that this really tested my driving skills…

on top of that.. my transmission had to suffer from the negligence of the mechanic shop.. for example because the tractor was uneven & not balanced.. this caused pressure on the drive line and transmission..

stopped at TA immediately because it was breaking my heart to hear my transmission grinding so much metal !!!

After diagnostic there was excessive metal in the transmission fluid..

turns out the leveling valve was broken..

The first mechanic shop had 6 technicians around my vehicle and no one understood to level out a tractor?

This caused me to damage my truck & pay for unnecessary repairs. The distress I feel from this overwhelming..

I was driving around way over 13”6 and I didn’t know until the TA representative told me.. this could have been bad..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Power Meister

Power Meister Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2022
    Welcome to the third world.

4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    How far did you drive it that way?

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    That's the price you pay.when your not mechanically inclined .. and you don't double check the work a shop does
    Like mentioned .. welcome to the 3rd world
    BTW.. that probably was your driveline grinding ..not so much your transmission

6. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin

7. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Unfortunately that is the state of the service you can expect everywhere now. Double check the work they do, always. If one of them asks you “don’t you trust me?” Your answer is no. If they don’t like that then they will have to do better work.

8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Just changing an air bag should not affect the level unless they put the wrong one on.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If your leveling valve was magically bad after new air bags then that means it was bad before the air bags. There is no “leveling” to be done by the the people that worked on the truck. They dumped your air, swapped the bags, and parked your truck. You should’ve noticed a faulty valve long before you took off down the road with your truck, provided you walked around your truck and didn’t just jump in the seat and take off from the shop.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I have never had to mess around with a levelling valve when replacing air bags. I always just threw heavy stands under the tail frame, dumped the air so the frame rested on the stands, replaced the bags and then re-inflated the suspension.

11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I’m not so sure you were way over 13-6
    The bags only go so far but maybe a little over if you were borderline to begin with

As far as TA checking the level height. Not sure that would be on any shops radar as if the correct part was installed and the leveler worked properly then there shouldn’t be much of a reason
    I try to take my rig to the same shops. Whether home or certain shops on the road
    They get to know the truck like an old friend and know it’s quirks etc and won’t upsell me on a guess

12. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I agree. However, the shop should have discovered that faulty valve and sold the repair to the owner or at the very least informed him of the issue to save themselves the possible come-back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.