Another Maxxforce DT problem

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Young_simba, May 20, 2020.

1. Young_simba

Young_simba Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2019
    I have a 2010 Maxxforce DT (07-09 engine) My check engine light came on and I started loosing power. Then my dpf flashing light came on and thankfully got to my truck parking yard safely. I hooked up servicemaxx and besides the dpf codes I get this one
    DTC:2175 SPN:8321 FMI:7 VGT Performance Fault

Does anyone know if this automatically means a bad turbo or can it be something else?
    And if it is the turbo can it be possible that it's just full of soot and maybe it can be cleaned?

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you can pull both tubes off turbo and ck for oil?, if no oil is running out of turbo it may be the little motor that moves the turbo has quit or turbo fins are stuck?

4. Young_simba

Jun 28, 2019
    It does have oil. The pipe going to the cac has some as well. I was reading on other posts that oil there can mean a bad turbo but where is this oil coming from? The wheel is not stuck and spinning. it doesn't seem to have any broken fins.I just got someone to help me check the actuator rod and it's not moving when I turned the key on. I hit it slightly with a hammer and worked for a few bit then stopped working again. Maybe the actuator is my problem and not the turbo? Can I only change the acuator or how can I go about fixing this.
    I have voltage on the actuator connector. What can be preventing it from working. I could be wrong but I think I remember I could move it manually before now I can't

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would replace the whole turbo and be done with it. As far as I know, you can replace just the actuator, but 95% of the time, the rod won't move or is sticking because the vanes inside the turbo are the problem, not the actuator. You would have to remove the linkage and see where the binding is happening. If the linkage moves freely at the turbo, then you need just the actuator, if not, you need a complete turbo. You pretty much have to remove the turbo to service the actuator. At that point you are halfway done replacing the turbo anyway. Due to the age of the engine, this is why I say to just bite it and replace the turbo.

Young_simba and Flint1 Thank this.
  6. Young_simba

Jun 28, 2019
    I took the turbo to a shop where they repair them and said there was carbon inside the turbo that seized up the linkage, which took out the acuator. They took out the carbon and had a used acuator available. I installed it and truck is running fine. I appreciate the replies. It's a huge help for me as an owner operator. Thanks!

Heavyd Thanks this.
  7. Young_simba

Jun 28, 2019
    I also noticed there is coolant coming out of the hole at the bottom of the egr valve. Does this mean one of my coolers is leaking or is this normal? I have no white smoke coming out of the exhaust while I'm driving. Not sure if I'm loosing coolant. I'm going to keep an eye out on the coolant level this week

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    There is coolant flowing through the egr valve, it could be coming from inside the valve itself, or possibly from the cooler. You would need to remove the cross over pipe at the front of the engine and check for wetness.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.