Another newbie fellas!!...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Adelmo, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Whadda ya say there new buddies!
    I signed up to this thread after lots of thought given to a change in career. I've worked in the non-for profiy mental health field (specifically substance abuse prevention) and after 20+ years of working with the less fortunate and assisting them get their lives in order: I really don't like people! They are a walking contradiction and tend to blame those closest to them when things don't go right. I've had it and decided to walk away from the field before someone (mainly me!) gets hurt. So the question was: what do you want to do with the remaining years you have left before retiring (I'm 53). I decided to work with as little human dialogue as possible, not have to be micromanaged and a rewarding career that will pay the bills. Truck driving is what I chose. I don't have my CDL, in fact, living in NYC I didn't feel rushed to get a license, I have one now since moving to Tampa. I am receptive to long distance driving but would prefer to stay local. Anyway I'm sure there are options to consider which is how I ended up here as well. I am looking forward to learning from you, your experiences, what pitfalls to avoid and the "how to's"
    I hope you welcome me to your community and I look forward to sharing my journey with ya!

deathB4decaf, D.Tibbitt and The Gels Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Moving from NYC to Tampa is an excellent first step; congratulations on that.
    We'll find something for you to stay local, but are you sure you don't want to see the USA, with the exception of NYC?

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's one that hires with only a cdl permit and then they work you into a driving position later.
    $50,000 - $60,000 a year
    Click here > Apply On Company Site
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Adelmo Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's dozens of local jobs available in Tampa area once you get your cdl.
    A few hire with a cdl permit, but most want you to already have a cdl.
    www.comcar.com has local jobs for new cdl school graduates.
    Attend a cdl school of at least 160 hours. Community college or tech schools seem to provide the best training.
    Comcar Industries, Inc - Official Site

Adelmo Thanks this.
  6. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Wow! Thank you Chinatown!

I was hoping to be welcomed but you took it to the next level! To answer your question; being new to it all makes me feel like I have better keep all my options open, so yeah, I am willing to travel and to get to see this great country of ours..and get paid at the same time? hell yeah !
    So I thought the CDL permit and actual license happen simultaneously, I guess I was wrong huh? Dude I would love to be given an opportunity prior to getting the actual CDL, for now I would have to wait till December before I would have had my license for a year as required from the trade school, but if it's true that I can get my permit before then? I'm all in. Actually what are some of the steps that I can take while waiting for my year to come?

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some steps to take and prepare:
    No pot or any other drug use; you probably don't anyway due to your past career.
    Scroll to top of this page and click on "CDL Practice Tests" and memorize as much as you possibly can.
    Exercise by doing stair step routine, in case a company has an agility test as part of the hiring process.
    [​IMG]

8. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Welcome. I don't think you'll find much difference between working in mental health and working in trucking

intrepidor and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    the only difference is he now becomes the patient

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tampa Truck Driving School
    8501-B Sabal Industrial Blvd
    Tampa, FL 33619
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This school has trucking companies that will sponsor you. Contact the school and ask if any company will sponsor you now and not have to wait until December.

11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Welcome.
    Mental health Hmmm. We will start taking bets to see weather you fit right in or go slap off the deep end in a year or so. lol

Good luck with your new career, most folks get out what they put in.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.