Another one bites the dust .

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bzinger, Mar 13, 2020.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    As of 03/01/20 the restaurant at the belmont travel plaza has closed .
    Exit 26 on us 151 belmont Wisconsin.
    They had really good food! But fear not the subway is still open .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

It could be attributed to the low driving wages vs high costs of doing business. In other words truckers not getting paid enough to have a decent meal or not enough of these truckers around to keep the restaurant from closing.

other thing could be is the food might not be up to par.

Rideandrepair and Lite bug Thank this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    It seems to me that drivers now days like to get fast food and then hit the road instead of a sit down restaurant.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Fast food blows !

Rcranch81, skellr, Dave_in_AZ and 9 others Thank this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Restaurants these days cannot make it without getting a lot of business from the locals, truckers and non truckers alike. Truckers now are all hurry up and go with few wanting to break up their day with a good sit down meal. Sad, but a sign of things to come, I think.

7. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Could be the high cost of taxes, insurance & food affected their bottom line too.

8. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I saw this years ago in the 90s when I was a driver at alliant..formerly Kraft.
    Ya always knew who was struggling by who was on cod .
    I always stop at belmont coming out of Miller's in Milwaukee headed to Omaha and have noticed a dour mood in the restaurant for the last year or so but always great food .
    Most think of Omaha as a hick town due to ignorance but always been very ethnic ...the restaurant business is as tough trucking and most of the bohemian, German , Czech and Italian restaurants are gone that I delivered to .
    Bakeries and steakhouses too.
    As the generational owners passed away and the kids didnt want to work .
    Only 1 stockyards era steakhouse left in Omaha...Johnny's! ...but it's in decline too and wont be surprised to see it close .
    Everybody wants to eat garbage now ...not me !!

9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I always try to support the local mom and pop shop cafés especially the good ones. It’s so easy to get caught up eating fast food and then that’ll put you 6 feet under faster than smoking or anything else you can do. If I owned a truckstop, I would put one of them massive salad bars that had every kind of salad and fruit with meats etc possible. It would be a huge hit. When you’ve been out on the road for weeks at a time seeing nothing but fried chicken, pizza greasy burgers and fries, a huge fresh salad bar is a welcome sight.

10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

People don’t eat pizza, burgers or fried foods on the road because they have to, they eat it because it’s cheaper and they want to. Even Offering salad for free won’t be eaten anymore than packing your fresh food for the whole week.

We just have to admit it. It just tastes better and that’s what people are attracted to. I think I read somewhere that comfort food releases some sort of chemical in your brain that makes you feel better. This could be also an underlying issue with truckers mental health.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’ve always been kind of a nutrition health food free to little bit. Not extreme but I try and eat healthy. And I have to admit after driving for 10-11 hrs., 500 to 650 miles in a day, when you’re done with that you just crave some serious fattening, high carbohydrate, greasy food and then some relaxation and going to sleep. There is something about driving all day that makes you crave bad food. LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.