Another One Churned and Burned at Swift

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wbound_I10, Sep 6, 2015.

1. wbound_I10

wbound_I10 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Swift let me go a couple of days ago, I had my third incident. What's crazy is theyall occurred within about a month! I was about 1 week out from a year of driving with absolutely no incidents, and a flawless DMV record.

The first one occurred as I backed into a chain link fence in Tucson. I should haven't even been there, I was supposed to be home but I took a load there because the DM needed his truck serviced. So they had to take the gate off, and reset the post.

The second one happened at a 2am appointment in Phoenix. Tiny maneuvering area, dark out, with other trucks waiting. Trying to get my truck off the main entrance driveway, I had to pull over a rocky area, I hear this crunchy sound thinking it's just the rocks underneath. It's the #### passenger side step panel. There was a fire hydrant recessed where I couldn't see it at night.

The last one angered me though. I arrive at Swift with a T-Call, the guy at the window tells me to put it into the E row. I pull it in, and as soon as you release the brakes, there comes the yard goat telling me to put it into the D row instead. I go around a couple of rows so that I can pull straight in. As I pull into my row it's tied up with a guy doing a jacknife maneuver. I'm deciding if I should wait, or back up up and pull into the other side of the row. I pull up a little bit and "squeak!". The aluminum bottom part of the trailer scrapes the bumper of a rusty old trailer. A Mexican guy comes out of this truck, didn't seem mad. I apologized, backed up and proceeded to the other side of the row. Well that same yard hostler saw it, he was also Mexican. They get together and make a big to do of it and call security. Hell, most of the trailers have scrapes on the lower panels. Nevertheless it was avoidable I know. I'd been out for almost 4 weeks, and totally sleep deprived. As a company driver you drive when they say. They'll send you messages at 3am telling you to get rolling. Then I'm a grimy mess adding to my irritability. Haven't showered in a week and have the worst jock itch ever. They don't like us idling our engines, they send me messages telling me I need to reduce my idling. So you sweat ALOT. Then I saw that boon hogging the whole road, I'm just like, "####! I just want to park this thing, go home, shower, and go to bed".

I clean out my truck meticulously and turn it in for the next driver, it's slip seat.The next day our safety director informs me that they had to let me go. That was my 3rd incident.

So I'm just back at the house taking it easy, catching up on sleep. I'm taking alot of fiber to clean out my system. But I also feel very lost as to what my next move is. I'm 41 and thought I finally had a career. I enjoyed operating a semi tractor/trailer, they're awesome machines. And was pulling in $800/week! I had dreams of maybe driving for Landstar eventually, owning a shiny long-nose truck. I feel like my whole vision has come crashing to an end. I'm looking at jobs in other occupations, none of them get me excited. I could cry.

Our safety guy didn't want to have to fire me, but it was Swift's policy to do so.He gave me a number to call of a company that does alot of staffing for local drivers. He thought I might be better suited for that. He said to tell them he sent me there. Maybe I should just stay positive, get myself together, and work on salvaging my driving career.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I bet that safety guy makes a pretty penny from referrals from divers like you.

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I don't get this. How would any aluminum parts line up with a rusty bumper? What else are we missing?

The firing for the most part is done at the terminal level a Swift. I have known Swift drivers with a lot more preventables and ones of a much more serious nature that kept there jobs at Swift. The safety guy was just trying to soften the impact.

The good news is I have known a lot of drivers to land a trucking job after getting fired from Swift. Three preventables will limit you. You have to ask yourself if trucking is really for you with three prevatables in less then a year?

5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Not to sound like an prick.... here's my .02, and please take this with a grain of salt, as I know we all make mistakes.

That fence didn't run into you, it was the other way around. That fire hydrant didn't jump up and bite you. You weren't aware of your surroundings and hit it. Someone's ethnicity has absolutely nothing to do with the fact you backed into a trailer, or a companies policy of reporting incidents.

You're on Elogs, shower and sleep. It's hot, use your AC... Getting let go from swift is not a career ender. $800 a week is not hard to offset. Now pull yourself up beat the streets and find another driving job. It won't be that hard.

6. wbound_I10

wbound_I10 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks for your encouragement, really. I know those incidents were my fault and avoidable. Nothing worse than that feeling right after it happens. You wish you could just go back in time 30 seconds! I have to recognize too that when I'm tired and irritable, that's when I have to be extra careful.

7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    If you want to stay in the trucking industry, using the excuse that you were tired or sleep deprived needs to go away... Everyone on this board has had to move or back a truck into a dock or whatever when half asleep... Being sleep deprived for 4 weeks, and you work for swift? C'mon man really? How many miles are you actually doing a week there at swift?????

8. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I personally don't think it's that bad, not as though you were ticketed for each incident. Definitely could be more careful though

bottomdumpin and mhyn Thank this.
  9. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    We all know its easy not to get out and look...when were tired late at night etc...BUT it cost you a job for not doing it. I also am just finishing my 1st year at Millis, we are NEVER told to run. Sure I have had some loads that required just the 10 hours off to make it happen. But theres plenty of time to shower to eat good stuff and drink lots of fluids. While we dont have APU"s we can idel all we want...my guess is none of your accidents are on your record...just check. Best of luck.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

MidTennTrucker Thanks this.
  10. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Go back in time about a minute and a half and get out an look.

Mr.X and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If these accidents are not on your mvr you will have no problems finding another job at a small carrier

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.