Another Schneider Choice question thread

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by kanidana, Apr 13, 2018.

1. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Usually Casa is on time

kanidana Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Well, it's been over a year since I was on Choice, HOWEVER...

Schneider HAS a lot of freight in Denver. Unfortunately, they don't put most of it on the board. They keep the majority of the 1.00+/mi stuff to themselves, but there are Schneider trailers all over this friggin' town at places that NEVER came up on the board and aren't dedicated lanes. I saw them all while I ran local last year tucked away everywhere.

What they do post is generally beer out of Coors for .85/mi (used to be, anyway) or other heavy and cheap garbage out of Manna Pro or ConAgra. The better paying loads out of Denver, if you could ever snag one the second it was posted was recycled cardboard out of Whole Foods going to Valliant, OK for a raging 1.14/mi if you were lucky. Then again, every once in a great while something for 1.80/mi to Phoenix would show up without any predictability. Again, this was over a year ago, so I can't speak as to what it's like now. I do know that with my own authority, crap they were paying .85/mi on is now paying me over $2.75/mi outbound which really grinds my gears 'cause .85 isn't 65% of 2.75...but that discussion has been beaten into the ground.

...mind you, I've always had a small truck payment because I run old iron so, I didn't have to make a killing by any stretch of the imagination. The profit margin for me wasn't terrific, however. Then again, I don't stay out for weeks at a time, so YMMV.

That said, there was better paying freight coming into Denver from Edwardsville, IL for about 2.25/mi. Of course, Schneider ended up taking all that for their company trucks after giving us songs and dances about it going to Dart/Intermodal/etc. Fact is, I ran local for the last year before getting my authority, and I saw the company trucks still delivering that Edwardsville freight to the same old suspects, I'd see the orange trucks and ask the drivers where they were coming from and...yeah. You can get into Denver from Dallas/FW area and that paid all right...not great but... better than nothing after they took the Edwardsville stuff away. Most inbound actually went to WalMart DC in Loveland for D/H so that wasn't terrible. There was also stuff coming and going to Salt Lake City, Washington State, and California, but running that lane didn't really float my boat and the Cali stuff was out of my reach since I have no DPF on my rig.

It wasn't always easy to get out of Denver when you wanted, you had to be willing to run the second that Valliant load posted or what not. Getting back wasn't always a simple matter, either, as there stopped being any predictability to when the loads coming back would post.

That said, my buddy Mike is still on Choice running in and out of Denver and making a go of it and he does have a Schneider truck payment, so it's not impossible, but requires being diligent about staring at the load board every waking moment of your life. If you're willing to stay out for a good bit of time, it makes it a lot easier, too.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Reason for edit: I can't spell for heck's sake.
    SingingWolf, kanidana, Opus and 2 others Thank this.
  4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Just curious....what was it about the standard that you didn’t like? If I return, I strongly prefer a manual.

5. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I loved the manual kw I had but they were all out of those. The one freightliner manual they had i didn't like the interior. So I went with an auto.

48Packard Thanks this.
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Wow...my trk payment is $45wk less and I've got a brand new pete...that's odd..hmmm

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    pay no attention......come on, Tech, bustin' balls for 45 bucks??

8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    No...i just saying how its odd that his payments on a freightliner are higher than mine on a brand new pete...i just found it odd..

SingingWolf and Opus Thank this.
  9. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Are the lengths of the leases the same? I know a while back they were offering 5 years on the Petes and KWs, while the Freightliners were 3 years, of course, that all could have changed greatly since I last looked into what SNI had to offer since I bought both my trucks elsewhere.

10. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    According to the guy I talked to they're encouraging 18 months to 2 years and you have the option to extend the lease at the end of the term to help make your balloon payment smaller if you want to buy the truck.

SingingWolf and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  11. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    On my work assignment, where's my pick up number. Is it the number under references?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.