Another "Uber for freight"?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by freighton, Sep 12, 2018.

1. freighton

freighton Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2018
    Thank you again for taking the time.

There is no pissing match going on here, just a friendly conversation. My ultimate goal is to listen and learn. so your input contributes positively to the formation of my market understanding. I thank you for that again.

Smaller shippers do use emails/phone calls to communicate tenders. larger ones use SAP or similar software (very expensive licensing) to manage large scale operations.
    When you have a customer (lets take Unilever, which is Convoys biggest customer). They are a global company that has hundreds of loads daily to deliver that Lipton tea/hellmans mayo etc to retail shelves.

They cannot call/email every tender, instead a system communicates everything to the broker system (Convoy).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Scalping is an integral part of freight markets and it will continue to be present on both ends. There is always going to be a desperate broker needing to move a load at all costs and a desperate carrier willing to go somewhere for a cheap pay. I just see these apps as a good replacement of many mindless calls and asking about trivial things. Brokers could provide more info on existing loadboards already, and some do but for the most part not disclosing too much info until the call is made is a part of the game.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I received a cold call from an Uber sales rep today trying to get me to sign up for their load board. I explained that I have contracted freight and wasn't interested, but he just kept doubling down with the hard sell and wouldn't take no for an answer. I finally just hung up and blocked his number.

EuropeanTrucker Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If you really want your app to be crazy wild successful, you need to somehow establish very good detention and TONU pay.

If everything else worked smoothly, you had plenty of knowledgeable staff to handle any real problems, and you had a quick pay, that would probably explode.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I pull a drive van for hire.
    Out of 58,584 total loaded miles for which my YTD average is $2.75 per miles

Uber paid me YTD
    $ 22074 for 8,009 miles $2.76 per mile
    Convoy paid me YTD
    $ 38,591 for 13,056 miles $2,95 per mile

They both have given me 35% of my work load so far this year. I actually like their app based load booking and the simplicity of it. They pay on time (Quick pay for free) and they respond to issues at a satisfactory level (room for improvement). I am content with them. If I were to pull freight exclusively for them - if possible at all - I would be doing all right considering my cost side of business.

Dino soar and whoopNride Thank this.
  7. Okie dokey

Okie dokey Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2018
    You'll be doing good until every owner operator in on this email boards and drive carrier prices down.

8. Redbeard77

Redbeard77 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2018
    No THANKS....rates are cut low enough already.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.