Another Watkins Shepard Thread

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by harley4life, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Lighten up LightBulb..... I was not attacking you. I was simply saying my peace. Had it been an attack, it would have been a lot more verbose and there would have been no doubt that you had been "attacked". I don't think you get.... I have no hard feelings for you or what you said. I do (did) have issue with you making assumptions about my situation and what for. But that was days ago. You need to let it go.
    Now how could I have possibly known that? Did I miss something somewhere?

Well that is a good thing. Shows that you didn't just jump in without checking things out first. Very admirable. Again, no beef here....

Uhhhh, I believe you did that, not me... You were the one that made the statement about putting up any one of W/S's drivers against any other driver. I merely had an opinion of how that struck me when I read it. And I wasn't alone as to voicing an opinion about your post, yet you singled me out and never addressed anyone else's posts. Interesting. I mean, if you want to have a debate with me about something, just say so. I'm always game for a battle of the wits.

And for the record, I don't publicly label people (and I didn't label YOU!). Never have, never will. Again, assume nothing about me.

That is a good thing. Again, very applaudible.

hmmmmm "Sir", huh? I'm not sure if that was made as a slap or not. Either way, you can just call me Scooter. I am a rather informal guy...

I want you to clearly understand something. As I said before, there are no hard feelings on my part, and if you got your feelings hurt or you were taken back because I didn't share 100% of your feelings, well there is nothing I can do about that.

Obviously everyone has an opinion. And although I might not agree with yours, I would defend your right to have your own opinion to my last breath. Funny thing is.... when you put everything on the table, I was agreeing with you. In fact, here is exactly what I said....
    I had seriously considered W/S school, and I have nothing wrong with their approach. It sounds like a fantastic school, but I am a little concerned with the time frame of the training. It appears to really in-depth and very succinct, but I think for the sake of my own satisfaction, I want to have a little more training time with a trainer second seating.

It's not that I don't think I can do it, but I have always been one to receive as much training as possible when starting out on something new. In case you have noticed, I am quite inquisitive. And when I get behind that wheel by myself, I want to know that I will have more than 4 weeks total time between class and roadwork, and I will be ready for most things.

Now please tell me where I made any comment about W/S that could be construed as anything other than complimentary. All I said is that I would feel more comfortable with a little more time behind the wheel with a trainer beside me. And when it comes to what I feel works best for me and my situation, then indeed, your opinion has little relevance unless I specifically request it. Hate to say it, but that's life. But understand, no hard feelings. Life is too short to hold grudges and it will do nothing but affect one's happiness.

By the way, if you get back in the area, you ought to check out US1 out towards Wake Forest and Hwy 64 towards Knightdale. You wouldn't believe how it has grown up. How long ago did you live here?

Best wishes for good travel to you as well LightBulb.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    And with all of that being said, I'm out. Obviously I am not going to be working with W/S anytime soon, and I have given my praises of the company. But I am not going to be drawn into anymore of this conversation, because that is not what this thread is about.

You need more from me? PM me....

Thank you everyone for your information in helping me make some decisions.

4. Tinman55

Tinman55 Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Louisville, CO
    Got all my paperwork in to Sandy on Tue .. now just waiting to see if I get financed ... really need it, cash is scarce these days.

How long did it take after you sent in the paperwork until they got you approved? Do they send you to a local Dr. for your DOT physical/drug test? The impression I got was she would schedule it.

I'm trying to make the Jan 5th class so we're really tight on time. If not it will be Feb, but since my job ends this month I hope not to stay unemployed too long.

Stay warm!

Steve

5. msmspilot

msmspilot Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2008
    North Mississippi
    They sent me to a doctor about an hour away (it's the nearest big city) and they did the DOT physical and the HPE on the same day. Roxy worked that out for us (me and my wife) because we had such a long drive to the doctor. You pay for the physical but get the company discount (I think mine was $48) and they pay for the HPE. The HPE is basically some exercises to show that you don't have balance problems and that you have some flexibility and strength. The hardest thing I think was lifting 70lbs, about waist high, 3 times. Then lifting 40lbs about 5ft 3 times.

We're taking our CDL tests tomorrow, so we're all a little stressed. :) We're ready though. When you get here, practice your backing. Whatever it takes, when they start letting you back, do some EVERY SINGLE NIGHT after class.

6. Tinman55

Dec 4, 2008
    Louisville, CO
    So which phones are you current drivers using? and which service? ATT/Verizon/Sprint .. and wireless broadband if you have it.

Not that I will be running the same 'routes' as you once I get on board .. but who knows. Looking at the electronics forum, it is clear they all suck and are all perfect ..!! :)

My TMobile is toast and the contract is done so I need a new one. In fact my charger just broke so now I need one asap. My sister has ATT so that would be good for staying in touch with her, and my Mom, cheaper. Any real Cons ..?

Made it thru the DOT physical and DMV report .. I'm getting there ...

Thanks,

Steve

7. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    Verizon has worked well for me. I pay an extra $9. for each extra phone for family members. Plus Internet service. Good Luck

8. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    scooter, good luck like i said before, let me no how you make out with school and with whatever company you will be working for.

9. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey, to all my fellow drivers, ( n other w/s employees ) just want to to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope everyone is well. If your out over christmas be careful out there, and thanks, ill be staying out next year.
    ill be back out by the end of the week i hear...:biggrin_2554:
    take care eveyone and again Merry Christmas
    ---Soon2be

10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I like my AT&T on most days. Hate it on others.

But we just got a huge discount on our plan, due to my sisters job. The discount is linked to a job requirement discount that AT&T offers.:yes2557:

It makes no sense for us to have 3 seperate accounts. So my family has pooled our plans into one account.

We pay only $90 a month now, with 4 lines.

11. Tinman55

Dec 4, 2008
    Louisville, CO
    Well, so much for 'getting there'. W/S called to say I didn't make the cut .. nothing with me (perfect record/background) just way too many applicants these days. On to my secondary choices ...

I went with ATT as well for the family reason. Seems fine so far but as fast as the wireless broadband is, it can't compare with my cable modem at home .. but it's not too bad.

Well, off to Fla for Christmas w/ the family .. Happy Holidays to all!

If you see a single dude in a Chevy Venture gawking in envy at your truck it's likely me! :biggrin_25515:

Steve

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.