Another "what trailer?" question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by HillbillyDeluxeTruck, Jul 8, 2018.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Get a car hauler. Unless you're hauling other freight besides trucks a stepdeck doesnt benefit you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    The problem is comes in getting reloads back to the Midwest. 3 cars don't pay as much as a flatbed load does. I'm about maximizing revenue as much as possible.

4. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    I would go with Reitnouer, MAC, East or Great Dane in that order. Love my Mac and Reitnouer. Never had an East but have looked them over. Great Dane I have no issues with other than fit and finish seems not as good. I also have a Fontain Revolution but hate the deck. Also can be a PITA for some oversized loads. But the side rails are really strong but expensive to repair if you ever had to. All of these are all aluminum flatbed and not Step so take that for what it’s worth.

5. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    How's Dorsey aluminum steps?

6. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    I haven’t done any research on those. They had decent prices but would have had to travel too far to get one. Booth trailers in Columbus Ga had some good looking used Reitnouer steps in. I just got a flyer by email from them a couple of days ago. Check out their website.

7. '07 KW w/53' Conestoga

'07 KW w/53' Conestoga Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2015
    John, how's it going??? You out hauling PU trucks? How's that going?

I looked into getting a step with a beaver tail. There was a place building them up towards Greenbay, I can't remember their name, all steel...they were pretty cheap, low $20K, maybe $24K, I don't recall...and I am sure that didn't include FET...this was also a good 5 or 6 years ago.

The key, if you do get one, is to get the ramps that fold back over and help to level out the rear, in case you need to support a load on a backhaul.

Good luck to you! Keep in touch!

8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Glad this got bumped. Saw a step deck today that had a short maybe 4ft hyd dove tail on it, sittin on 17.5's. It wasnt some new fancy thing either. Older and steel. Didnt have my phone handy to snap a pic though.

9. '07 KW w/53' Conestoga

Sep 28, 2015
    I was going to say, in my research, it seemed like you have to go with the 17.5 wheels to get low enough.

Only word of caution...they are spendy!!!

10. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Still trucking along. I had asked because I was offered a chance to pull pu out of IN, but decided against it. Not really what I was looking for. In my searching, I did come across Jet takers with a beavertail & ramps. They looked like nice trailers. Only problem was the rapids aren't removable and with extended cab pu, the rear tire would barely be on the ramp, so there's no room to put the ramps after loading.

I haven't done anything at this point, but I've had lots of offers.

'07 KW w/53' Conestoga Thanks this.
  11. '07 KW w/53' Conestoga

Sep 28, 2015
    Sounds good!

I took a few days and pulled some loads of pre-cast concrete walls. It's hourly pay, you don't need a trailer, and some of the loads are legal, but, some of them are heavy and some are very wide.

The pay is different when you are driving versus when you are sitting on a job site. After the first hour, it goes down...not so great. Today, I didn't start until 9 AM, got to the job site a little after 11 and didn't get unloaded until after 4...it was about 4:30 by the time I buttoned back up and left...then, right in the teeth of rush hour traffic! I got back to the yard to drop the empty at 6, they pay 15 min for dropping a trailer. So, I was on the clock 9.25 hrs, but, since there was so much of the time spent sitting, it only grossed about $725...but, I probably only went about 60 miles.

If I was hauling containers, I'd think that $725 was a good day, but, I'd have probably put on over 300 miles and a bunch of tolls to get that, which, isn't so good.

I am looking at either renting, trading my dump trailer, or, just leasing a flatbed, find my own loads with it. No hassle of overweight, oversized, and, easily can stick a 1 in front of that number for the day. Granted, it would be a LOT more than 60 miles....and, it might make for a very LONG day, and may have tarping involved, but, all doable things.

Then, come winter, take time off, or, do some mindless dry van work.

Best wishes to you, happy early Labor Day...hard to believe how fast that holiday is approaching!!!

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.