Antenna for Cascadia?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Sidewinder373, May 10, 2019.

1. Sidewinder373

Sidewinder373 Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Albany, ny
    I've been running Cascadia trucks for the last ten years, so far a 7' skipshooter top loaded antenna has been what worked the best for me, using the low mirror bracket mount. BUT, the last two antennas have failed fairly quickly from I assume too much flex. In the past I ran a predator 10k-27, which are great, but broke mounts from stress. Anyone found a better solution? A antenna that will tune and perform well, and hold up?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YMItrucking

YMItrucking Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2016
    You have the best antenna for the Cascadia (in my opinion).
    What you can do with the Skip shooter, is to get a 2' section 1/4" piece of PVC and slide it down to the base of the antenna. That will help keep it from flexing.
    The other antenna alternatives would be a 7' firestik which is less flexible than the skip shooter, or you can use a 102" whip (which is what I use). Those would be my suggestion.
    Hope this helps.

4. Sidewinder373

Apr 30, 2012
    Albany, ny
    What type of PVC? Like water pipe?
    Tell me more about your 102" set up. Are you running it on the lower mirror bracket?

5. YMItrucking

Jul 22, 2016
    Yes, a 1/4" piece of PVC that you would find at like home depot. Slide over your antenna, and down to the base, that will help.

Regardless of what antenna you use, you should use the 2 bolt bracket, not just a single bolt perch style. I use the Pro Comm mount, HD Wilson stud with a 102" whip.and a 5" Wilson SS extension. Run a braided ground strap from your mount to the door hinge and you should be good to go. Be aware tho, that even when the antenna is tilted forward (under 13'6") it will raise up above 14' at highway speed. The angle at which you tilt it forward will be determined by your highway speed. You want the antenna straight up (and not tilted backwards) when your up to speed on the highway.
    You can avoid the over height (illegal) antenna by sticking to a 7' skipshooter or Firestik tho.

6. Sidewinder373

Apr 30, 2012
    Albany, ny
    I've run strap from frame to cab, mount to cab. Still having issues like I'm lacking ground. The impedance is all goofy too. I don't understand it. I was reading voltage in the body might be the issue. It's driving me crazy.

7. YMItrucking

Jul 22, 2016
    I cant help you with the impedance issue, hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in. With my setup now, I can talk around 10-11 miles on a barefoot, untuned Cobra.

8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I ran a six foot skip shooter on my Cascadia daycab. YMI means 3/4 inch piece of PVC pipe, Home Dept sells it in the plumbing section in 3 or 4 foot sections. I painted mine black to match the six foot antenna, no more flexing at the base, and it fits snugly around the bottom of the antenna stud.

9. Sidewinder373

Apr 30, 2012
    Albany, ny

Attached Files:

10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    No you would probably need a 1.5 inch pipe to be safe for that one. 1.25 inch might work, just have to deal with buying a 10 foot piece for $5 or $6 and throwing away the rest. To make it snug around the antenna you could put some foam down in there since it will be much wider than the skipshooter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.