Antenna issues

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ErieMcDreary, Sep 5, 2020.

1. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    2016 Volvo VNL day cab, pulling gas tanker, so height is not an issue. Antenna broke off oem Volvo mirror mount. I wasn't getting much range out of it anyway, so I decided to try to improve it, rather than replace the Volvo mirror crap. This truck has those plastic aerodynamic mirror bracket covers so I can't use a standard mirror mount.
    A friend gave me a Wilson 2000 trucker magnet mount antenna. I removed the antenna from the magnet and mounted it on a mirror mount I had, on the bar that supports the trailer air/electric lines across the back of the cab, above the window. The 18' coax I had wasn't long enough, so I got a 25' cable. I cannot get below 2.75 swr with that setup. I tried a jumper ground wire from the mount to the muffler shield, with no change.
    I've been told to get a Tram TC-6, (my choice) TC-9 or TBC-12, and a new mount.
    Radio is an "out of the box" Uniden PC78LTX, I don't really need to go out more than 5-6 miles or so, I'm just not into that "my radio is bigger than yours" BS.
    Should I go with the Tram, other antenna, or is there something else I'm overlooking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I really wanted to get it off the door. I've seen those "bird perch" mounts before

4. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I was running the same radio,box stock, through the stock antennas on a 2016 VNL sleeper truck and it actually worked really well for me. I am pretty sure the stock Volvo antenna system only uses the driver's side for CB and the passenger side for AM/FM radio. Just pop another stock antenna on it, check SWR's and run it! No need to reinvent the wheel if you're just looking for decent results from a stock 4 watt CB.
    Now if you want to upgrade your radio to something bigger, that's a whole 'nother story!

JD

Timin770 Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The door offers best performance with no effort for lowest cost. Mounting elsewhere will result in worse performance or higher cost and more effort to achieve the same performance.

jdchet Thanks this.
  6. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Please don't consider my questions as an argument, I'm just trying to understand.
    Why is the door better? Ground plane was mentioned by someone. I assume the roof is the ground plane. So as long as the antenna is near the roof, where it is mounted in relationship to the roof should be irrelevant, as long as it is approximately the same height and distance from the roof.

I don't know if you've ever replaced coax on a Volvo, there is a youtube video. If you don't use the factory parts you have to "expand" the holes the cable runs through, as the Volvo uses a push connector similar to a car radio, and the CB coax connector will not go through. I don't want to just run it through the door opening, where it pinches every time the door is closed.
    I was running the oem setup for a year with very poor performance, I could barely talk a mile, so I want to improve it with something that will last a while.
    Thanks for helping me.

7. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Run the cable and install the connector(s) later

8. jdchet

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    You can use either the mount that @rabbiporkchop suggested or the bird perch that I use that screws into the oem mirror mount. Just remove mirror mount screw and screw the bird perch in. Driver's side only!!!! Using a screw in bird perch on the passenger side? It will loosen up going down the road.
    Volvo Bird Perch Antenna Mount BPM1
    Route your coax down along the door and into the engine compartment and there should be a grommet covering a hole that will feed into behind the dash down low.
    Takes a bit of fiddling but you should be able to get the coax up to your radio from there.
    The door should be fairly well grounded to the cab and if not, a couple of braided ground straps on the hinges from door to cab should fix that up.
    I, myself wouldn't bother with a coil antenna for your setup. A bit harder to tune in my experience. Just use a good fiberglass, top loaded antenna with a tuneable tip such as Firestick 2, Skipshooter, etc. Keep it under 5 foot to miss the trees!
    Ground plane.......I'm not an expert......the whole truck would be your ground plane. The better your antenna system is grounded to the truck, the better your radio will operate. Mr porkchop can explain it better.

Good luck!
    JD

9. jdchet

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
  10. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I drive a 2017 VNL, bird purch drivers side. You need to use 18 foot cable. Run the cable under the door frame molding. The across the top of the windshield with cable clips you can get at most truck stops. Cones in a 4 or 5 pack. Run the cable to the center of the windshield then up into the cubby hole for the CB. I use a 4 foot firestick adjustable tip antenna. I swing 80watts on my 665 Stryker radio, and maintain a 1.0 swr . I do tilt the antenna forward some.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.