Antenna issues

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ErieMcDreary, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Ah, the age-old question about does coax length matter. It's still an ongoing battle today. I believe if you use a 50 ohm antenna analyzer attached to the bottom of the antenna, and adjust the antenna for resonance, then whatever length of coax you use won't matter, as far as swr goes. Now the problem is, if you cant get the antenna adjusted to resonance on these newer plastic trucks, then yes coax length can play a factor, because it's trying to make up for the lack of RF ground in the antenna system. At least this is my conclusion.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    It's not "no ground plane" and I read a lot of pro's and con's about coax length, still confused!
    Antenna is 3' Firestick2, mount is flat style clamp on mirror mount. Radio is "out of the box" Uniden PC78LTX. Coax is RG-8X, 25'.
    I wanted the coax out of the way so I ran it through the upper storage above the windshield, where the radio is mounted, (there is a foot or so loop of extra coax there) down the windshield pillar under the floor mat, out the rear bottom cab corner, up behind the cab fairing to the support bar for the trailer air/electric lines above the rear window. I grounded that bar to the stack mounting structure. (see pics from earlier post)
    So far the only money I've spent that may have been unwise was the coax. I needed the radio and antenna either way, the old antenna broke off the mirror. I'll spend a little more if it will help, like the spring, extended stud, or ground plane kit. But if none of that will matter, and I'll end up mounting it on the mirror anyway, I may as well spend the money on the mirror mount.
    Unfortunately, there are few radio shops around these days, none in my little area of operations, NW Pa. I do go through Hubbard/Youngstown Oh, but I'm not aware of a shop there.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I think my Volvo has a metal roof and rear wall.
    I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to say ##### it and mount it on the mirror!
    If you watched that video I posted, you'll see why I want to avoid that!

6. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017

Yes I watched the video, and all I can say is that you're going way above the call of duty for a CB antenna. If you own the truck then it would probably be worth the effort. With these trucks today, mirror mounted antennas are probably still the best location. The problem is you have to do a lot of bonding to get the antenna system to be resonant. I see guys that will mount a 108 inch whip antenna on the catwalk between the sleeper and trailer, and I assume it must work fairly decent, but I've never talked to anyone to find out how it performs.

7. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    There used to be a shop at Truck World in Hubbard, but he's out in Elyria, Ohio now. Do you get out by Strattanville, Pa? Bob's CB Shop is right off exit 70 on I-80. Plenty of truck parking.
    About Bob's CB Shop

JD

8. BigJim63

BigJim63 Light Load Member

May 1, 2014
    Evansville In.
    A 3 ft antenna is hard to tune anyway because it isn't very broad banded. With an inadequate ground plane I can see why you are having trouble. You might want to try a longer antenna.

Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  9. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I haven't been as far east as Strattanville in a long time.
    I may try a taller mount, or just run it the way it is.

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Without a 50 ohm antenna, the cable acts as an impedance transformer.
    Resonance isn't going to be achieved with an SWR meter.

11. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Do you speak English? :D

Obviously you know a LOT more than I do about this!
    It is my truck, but I'm a cheap SOB, so I don't want to spend money if it doesn't improve anything.
    Do you think a spring will fix it?
    If it is your determination that a mirror mount will resolve my issues, than I won't bother screwing around with it anymore, and just plan some time to get it up on the mirror somehow.

Thank you for your time with this, I do appreciate it.

12. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Rabbi is referring to a tool called an antenna analyzer. It tells you more about your antenna system than just swr readings. The thing to remember, is that your antenna makes up half of your antenna system, and these newer plastic trucks are missing the ground plane (the other half of the antenna system). That's where this thing called bonding comes into play.

You need to read the casscadia thread, it's the same principal as your Volvo. Basically the longer the antenna and doing what's called bonding (like I mentioned earlier), is what's needed, not a spring with a 3 foot antenna. Guys have had good luck with a 6 to 7 foot skipshooter antenna. You need what's known as a top loaded antenna, they work better in situations like this.

You can read about a lot of good antenna info on k0bg.com that can help you too.

13. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    ?!?

• Truckers Report Jobs