Antenna men for mobile?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by QuietStorm, May 24, 2019.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    How the antenna attaches to the truck is probably the most important part of your installation. It's well worth your time to spend a weekend cutting and grinding and drilling to make a custom piece out of stainless steel.

Dave_in_AZ, Slowmover1 and QuietStorm Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I'll see what I can come up with, but like I said before, I tend to break stuff bigger than a circuit board.

4. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It's kind of hard to break a piece of stainless steel that's a quarter inch thick.
    I'd spend most of my time constructing a bracket that will bolt directly onto the truck without drilling any holes in the truck. That's going to be the most amount of work. The rest of it is easy stuff. I'd make a spacer plate that drops down into that hole and then make another plate that sits on top of it which hangs out past the mirror arm. Then you get the four holes to line up. Then you figure out how deep the holes are and then you have to do some math to figure out how long the bolts need to be and then you can get some stainless steel Bolts from Fastenal and stick some anti-seize down in the holes of the aluminum mirror arm and then torque everything nice and snug and then you have a solid foundation to mount your antenna.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. QuietStorm

Dec 11, 2016
    I'm not worried about the whip so much as the interior of the truck when I run new coax and ground the antenna to the door, body and frame. Since it's not my truck I don't want to break their stuff while I figure out how to make it work good enough. Also concerned about the reflect of the truck itself and perhaps the tx and Rx becoming too directional.

But, I mean, it's just for dumb trucker #### so it doesn't really need to be that good I guess. I'll get my buddy to fabricate a bracket that fits there and will support a heavy whip, maybe get an angle on it and figure out a way to secure the whip away from the truck so even at speed it keeps steady performance. The grounding and coax I can probably figure out myself if I can borrow a the necessary meters.

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That's the price you pay for mounting your radio inside something other than a Chevy Suburban. You're never going to get omnidirectional out of a tractor trailer.

Dave_in_AZ, mike5511 and QuietStorm Thank this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you can get it mounted on that bracket at a 45 degree angle leaning forward, you won't have to worry about it hitting the body of the truck even at 75 mile an hour. The guy that I know that is using a 9-foot whip on his Cascadia doesn't have anything bracing it and it flops all over the place when the wind is blowing but it never touches the body of the truck.

Dave_in_AZ and QuietStorm Thank this.
  8. QuietStorm

Dec 11, 2016
    That is certainly disappointing to hear that with all the guys on the road selling radios there aren't (m)any(?) that actually know what they're doing when it comes to the most important part of the radio system. What about that guy in Carlisle/Harrisburg PA, is he any good?

Thanks @rabbiporkchop for the help, even though I guess this is a moot thread considering the depressing lack of qualified people able to set up antenna systems.

rabbiporkchop and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Personally I wouldn't let anybody east of the Mississippi touch your antenna system. I'd volunteer to get it dialed in for you for free if you did all the hard work and have that bracket made and have everything all hooked up and ready to go. I've got a couple antenna analyzers and an ohm meter and a die grinder for trimming if necessary.

Dave_in_AZ and QuietStorm Thank this.
  10. QuietStorm

Dec 11, 2016
    Well I might hold you to it, I just gotta get the other crap I need, will probably be a process that takes a while. I'll swap out pieces of the system once a week until I get a decent mount made for it.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Hey, Wapwallopen, what about your fellow Pennsylvanians TOP GUN TEC 680/880 extension?

A 108” is a helluva wind load. I just bought another pair from DX ENGINEERING.

But I ran 7’ Skipshooters on a Cascadia with the PRO COMM Mount. The 6’ version might be easiest to live with on a KW company truck.

Sorry I don’t get up to PA anymore. I don’t miss the parking near Allentown or daily in & out of Philly (wow).

But it’d be fun to be a pair of missing tooth truck drivers causing Ridgeline fits with some Rube Goldberg antenna concoctions. Just for those “proud papa” moments in pictures, why, I’d get me a chain-drive wallet, profane tee shirt, and temporary facial tattoos.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.