Antenna Question

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by amtraktrekker, May 15, 2017.

1. amtraktrekker

amtraktrekker Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I am an amateur radio operator and have two two-meter antennas mounted on the bed wall on either side of the bed tied to the tool box. How close can I mount a CB antenna to these two antennas without experiencing interferance or loss of signal? I'm running out of room and ideas as to where I can mount the antenna. Thanks for your help.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    90% of your signal will be lost by mounting your CB antenna on the front edge of your truck bed even if those two other antennas weren't even there.
    I'm not sure how much more loss would be incurred due to the proximity of those other two antennas

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  4. CW Spook

CW Spook Light Load Member

How about trying a mag-mount on the cab roof, or something like a Husrler HQ-27 on a hood lip mount?

wolverine11, BTShepp and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
  6. amtraktrekker

Sep 5, 2012
    Looks like you could flush the toilet on the space station with that setup!

mike5511 and wolverine11 Thank this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I kind of like this setup.

mike5511 and wolverine11 Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Now for an answer.

So you should be able to put it right into the center of the box,, you won't have an issue.

You won't have interference but what you may see the 2m antenna become a little directional if anything but I doubt that you will notice it.

rabbiporkchop and wolverine11 Thank this.
  9. CW Spook

CW Spook Light Load Member

I'd mostly agree with all of that. I would not expect any interference from the antennas themselves, but having the CB antenna partially blocked by the metal cab of the truck may hurt the performance a bit, at least in comparison with a roof mounted antenna. Using a top loaded fiberglass whip will ameliorate that to some extent.

wolverine11 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  10. amtraktrekker

Sep 5, 2012
    Ridgeline, Spook,

I've got the antenna mounted now, between the 2-meter antennas. I grounded the antenna to the stainless steel mount I fabricated and screwed to the bed. The radio, a Cobra75 WX ST, shows a full signal on the receive side of the meter on all forty channels. Should the receive meter be pegged on all channels? It's been thirty years since I have fooled with a CB radio. I have not picked up anything on the radio as yet, but I understand there's not as much traffic as there once was, despite my living within two miles of an interstate highway. I am avoiding transmitting until I can tune the antenna. Thanks for your help.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Sounds like you might be parked under a power line

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.