Anti-gel over kill?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TheDude1969, Dec 19, 2016.

1. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Back in the day,we used to wrap the fuel filters with disposable diapers for insulation.
    Now with all the fancy foam products available, a oversized beer can cuzzie works too.

Lepton1 and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    This wasnt at a truck stop. I had to foot it to a convenience store.

Transmission fluid or motor oil. As long as it was in a quart bottle.

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm curious, I don't know and not trying to be an ###. You mean a quart bottle of anything that was a crude oil base fluid. Because they don't sell diesel by the bottle.
    Glad to hear you got your truck running so quick. Good information.

5. Eeyore05

Eeyore05 Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    Sooo, what do you think it is they add to the fuel in winter to make it "winter mix"??? Seriously....

ramblingman Thanks this.
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Some use Kerosene, Number 1 diesel.
    Some use a chemical additive, not sure what that is.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Exactly. Used to put transmission fluid in the tanks years ago, but worried about the red dye thing. So, ive used it when changing fuel filters for years. That or engine oil.

Edit: I take it you already know about WD40

Lepton1 and xsetra Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Yes I have been using WD40 for a few years. Thankfully not often with this truck as much as my last truck. It needed a boost all the time. It was wore out. Ran good just didn't like the temp below 32 degrees.

I have a N14, it would probably tolerate castor oil. I have heard the "advice" of putting detergent oil, like transmission fluid in the diesel to help clean injectors. I have also talked to rebuild shop that have told me the trans fluid works as an abrasive in the injectors and wears out the nozzle quicker.

I always use diesel. I do carry a quart of 911 and a gallon 50% mix diesel/anti-gel and 2 quarts of new anti-gel.
    When parking the truck and the temperature is forecast below 15 degrees. I always fuel up with blended fuel and carry 2 extra filters, "just in case". I have still had my filter plug a couple times in the last few years.
    On the road I idle to prevent such problems.

9. truck_guy

truck_guy Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    SE MI
    Seems almost all of our cold weather problems aren't fuel related, but in the def system. Heaters or not, something always freezes somewhere, so idle timers get shut off and we leave them running. Sometimes for days. Somebody finally decided it's better to buy some extra fuel than pay for road service and have a bunch of late deliveries.

10. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Please show some proof of this statement. I cannot see a manufacturer asking a dealership to take a sample of fuel and spending the time or effort to determine that Howes fuel treatment destroyed a motor. These engines are burning way more bioblends then 1 full bottle of Howes to harm the engines or related components.

Give me a ####ing break.

Lepton1, AModelCat and TripleSix Thank this.
  11. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    @CJndaTruck
    http://www.mining.com/web/engine-manufacturers-warranties-and-diesel-fuel-additives/
    The US Government recognized the “restraint of trade” situation being created by the engine manufacturers against fuel additive suppliers and in 1975 passed theMagnuson-Moss Act. This legislation (among other things) makes it illegal for any equipment manufacturer to void a warranty because an equipment buyer uses a fuel additive.

There you go...........They cannot void jack.

Lepton1, not4hire and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.