Anti-gel over kill?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TheDude1969, Dec 19, 2016.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    FB_IMG_1482250003883.jpg good picture of poorly treated fuel. For my time and money anything that sits outside and I need to run when I need it we run straight #1 fuel. I've had terrible luck with using additives. Now in my Peterbilt I will run straight #2 all winter but she stays in the warm shed at night and the Kitty car returns enough fuel to keep the tanks well above freezing

Lepton1, Getsinyourblood and AModelCat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    mmm. looks tasty. raspberry?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Lol, that was my thought as well, "Man that's a nasty looking freezer pop..."

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Generally the cloud point of diesel being delivered is lower than the temperatures are about to get down to. On top of that the big places are adding additives to the tanks per load coming in. If you're getting fuel from mom and pops operation you may need to worry a bit because that fuel sitting in their tanks could have been in there for awhile if they don't do a large volume and the cloud point may not reflect current weather. Almost every truck company I deliver fuel to has me drop in additives per load at their terminals. In fact, many truck companies even have summer blends they use, so I'm adding something year round.

With all that being said and being the guy that treats your fuel, I still put in additives if the temps get around 0. Call it peace of mind or whatever, but I'm losing money if I'm spending time getting my truck going.

And if you're worried about voiding your warranty due to additives, don't get fuel and just let the truck sit. The fuel the truck was delivered with already had additives in it.

Lepton1, Socal Xpress and Eeyore05 Thank this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    All this talk about gelling fuel.
    Guess what, YEP. Sitting at home, time to get an LOF and start truck its not real cold, 8 degrees. Had truck plugged in, Fired right up. as always let the truck warm before I take off. I raise idle to 1500. Oh OH. fuel restriction. the truck starts losing rpm. stutter, clears up. stutters again.
    Leave truck run, look in fuel, clear as the day I put it in.
    Shut truck off, change fuel filter.
    That was the problem the fuel was plugging up, not from cold weather but from collecting dirt.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    That must be off road fuel. Looks like one heck of a problem.
    What did you do. just wait until spring to start it ?

Spagett34 Thanks this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't think you would have much luck starting a truck motor this way.
    Too many wires and hose to melt or catch fire.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've tossed a tiger torch under an oilpan of an ISX once. It was sketchy but we didn't ruin anything. I definitely would not recommend it unless its an absolute last resort.

11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I forgot that many of you have probably never seem red diesel (off road non taxed). I think the day this tractor gelled up we probably just dropped in a new filter with lots of 911. Get them to run and walk away for a few hours the fuel will warm up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.