Anti Roll Over Device for semi trailers

Discussion in 'Other News' started by TheLoadOut, May 12, 2022.

1. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Axicle Engineering developed an anti-rollover fifth wheel system designed to prevent semi-truck operators from fully rolling over due to these high winds. The Tractor Anti Rollover System (TARS) would keep the driver and truck on the road while it unlatches and detaches the trailer when met with an “unrecoverable rollover condition.” Axicle claims a 99.99% accuracy with the help of its algorithm and sensors. Currently, TARS is designed for class-8 trucks. Earlier this year, Axicle used a Boeing 777 to test out its TARS system by using the jet engines to knock down the semi-truck and its load. The system worked just as promised, keeping the truck upright while the trailer was tipped over.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    thats all we need is flying trailers to dodge on the roads... if this has a malfunction id only assume the trailer will break away from the truck without notice and we will see more of those problems happen which wont kill the driver but will kill whoever is behind that trailer or in the vicinity... seems like they are trying to solve a problem that doesnt necessarily exist.. if we had good drivers on the road there would be no rollovers from wind storms.. flying trailers is not the answer... education and the ability to think for ones self is the solution to this problem.

4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    What d.tibbit said, surely such a technological marvel will be well maintained and 100% errorproof for the full duration of the vehicle's life...

Why are people solving problems that dont exist with solutions guaranteed to make a mess?

5. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    The first thing I thought when I saw the video. You can’t even get a driver…err steering wheel holder to grease a fifth wheel much less maintain a system like this.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    kinda ironic, they used a "TIP" trailer, to be "TIPPED" over.

it'll still be a rollover in my eyes, damage will still occur, i cannot see any viable use for this.

7. TheLoadOut

Nov 6, 2019
    My guess would be trying to save the tractor, driver injuries, workmans comp claims, things like that. When in reality if it's that windy the safest thing to do is just park it.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    just spitballing here but i wonder what sensor they have controlling the disconnect function? what if you hit a big enough bump on the road which would cause the sensors to trigger the trailer release system and bam, there goes your trailer unhooking in the middle of i-70

9. TheLoadOut

Nov 6, 2019
    I'm suspect of the whole video & surprised the tractor didn't blow over too. I mean a jet engine? C'mon, they both should have flipped. Was it anchored down for the purpose of making the video?? They really don't go into much detail.

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    these are the ultimate anti rollover devices to have going down the road

[​IMG]

11. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    They showed an anemometer on the trailer. Not sure if that was just for the test or if that was supposed to be part of the system. If it was it would get knocked off at the first demolition derby that are these drop yards and rendered useless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.