Any companies still run manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by I like manuals, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You can manually shift an auto. But when fleets have them set up in economy mode then the computer takes back over if it doesn’t like what you’re trying to do manually. Most of the displeasure comes from how they are programmed and not the actual transmission.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Only autos I saw were a few Mack dirt merchants back in the 70s, nothing common until the illustrious Prostars were brought to market with the auto transmission from HELL.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Less of a gender debate and more of a generalized; "blue collar vs. white collar, skilled labor vs. engineers and comp-sci graduates" fist-fight. The egg-heads introduce some new product, the business majors running the company love it, those of us down at the bottom have to eat it or leave it.

I like manuals Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I couldn't imagine driving an auto with manual disabled. Must be a nightmare Lol. The food service place i worked at had a mix of 10sp and DT12. The only time i was happy to have an auto was stuck in NYC traffic

6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    They can’t make an automatic that lasts more than 150k or so in a pickup truck.

But They can make a slush box that last a million plus miles in a class 8 like a manual trans does ?

I can see where it’s nice to not have to let off the pedal
    And lose the turbo boost,
    but if I worked for a company that gave me a slush box that I couldn’t manual shift , I’d be looking for another place to work.

7. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Pride does not run the finest equipment on the road. Have yet to see a 389 or Kenworth W9 in their fleet.

8. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    That be some low rent company to disable manual mode on a auto. Without manual mode you never get your foot off the brake on hilly secondary highways…..

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The auto in your pickup is a true automatic trans. Allison's are also true automatics. But the AMTs are not true auto, the are Automated Manual Transmissions. The early ones still had the clutch pedal and you had to use the clutch when starting out, backing etc. After that the computer would just float the gears, and in many ways I think these were better than today's autos.
    But I see where you are coming from and except for when i was stuck in a traffic jam, I enjoyed shifting.

10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    1985, I used to shuttle u-haul trucks and they had some autos.

the mechanics hated them. always broke.

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    No, it's a company thing, when bean counters override the drivers, you get this. Sadly, what needs to happen, is the bean counters get drug out the door by the short hairs, placed in the passenger seat, and taken for a ride to see how counting beans makes jobs difficult. I've driven auto's with all the xtras turned off, demo trucks, I despised them, I've driven auto's with all the xtras turned on, smart demo trucks, world of difference.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.