Any Eaton 13spd experts here?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Denialator03, Sep 25, 2021.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Is there anything to gain from using this gear ? Or is it just one of those things that is fun to say u did it but is mostly unusable?

wore out Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    The high side of "low", and the low side of 5th gear are near identical. I use it a lot creeping up to a stop light and making turns from a near stop. I also usually won't split low.

I also have a whole three months of driving experience, so I may be using it wrong.

I've repaired hundreds and always told drivers how advantageous they were, but never drove one with a load until I started trucking.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Wasn't the use of the dummy discouraged to protect the splitter? After all, that's why they put the interlocks on the 13 speeds, they initially didn't have them. Going to the dummy jumps the torque to the splitter by 30-some % over 5th. Probably not a big issue for short term use, but using it climbing could be an heat issue in the auxiliary if it was an old box with the splitter in overdrive. Probably no longer an issue with RTLO's under/direct splitter.

Ran across this gem while hunting a power flow video.

Tug Toy, D.Tibbitt, wore out and 3 others Thank this.
  5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Nothing gained from using it no. I use it just because it's easier and quicker than dropping to the low side. I use it turning corners when fifth is just a touch to fast.

D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr. and Hammer166 Thank this.
  6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    This. Usually when you realize at the last second that 5th ain't gonna cut it and the extra time of a range shift means you'd likely be going to 3rd instead of 4th.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Tug Toy, D.Tibbitt, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Oh it definitely has it advantages in spots. When a range shift would cost you extra time in traffic etc. I don’t think I would pull in it for a long time but short use I can’t see it hurting anything

8. Dustyroads38

Dustyroads38 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Vernal utah
    i used it as 4 high when i needed to keep rpm up off road, but couldn't travel fast enough for 5 low. 12-15 mph on dirt for hours on dirt, the extra mph made a difference in my travel time. but other than occasionally using it to keep from dropping into the lowside, (corners to sharp for 5 mainly) it is more of a novelty for those who wished they had an 18.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Nice. I actuallly just tried it out for the first time yesterday. Its the perfect gear for turning and keep from having to drop to low side of the gearbox

Dustyroads38 and lester Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.